Kimberley Endemics Episode 1

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day all,

I've been out and about and i've taken a few photos about the place of the various critters I've caught on surveys. One of the more spectacular critters is Diporiphora superba. I'd never seen them before this trip, so i was very excited when i caught the first two. Several more were subsequently found. They are incredibly slender, which is the first thing you notice (after the colour). I hope the photos give a fair idea of what they are like.

DSCN4518.jpg

DSCN4820.jpg

DSCN4825.jpg

DSCN4824.jpg

Enjoy the photos! Please excuse my name on the pics, but after an APS member had his rough scale photos stolen and used on another site, one cannot be too careful.

Look out for Episode II!

-H

Last edited:
Great Photos of what appears to be, a spectacular species! Does this species have a common name?

Hopefully, one of your 'episodes' involve Geckos.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!

i was talking today about these :):) how good are there tails :D:D awsome pics

thanks

donk

I was just thinking that, bloody awesome tails.

And yeah, it's freezing :(

Great pics mate. Interesting critter, i really need to get up there.....soon :)

Keep em coming...
Jordan

Please tell me you found some Diporiphora magna

Nah, no D. magna this trip. They have been picked up before, but i wasn't there! They have no gular fold! Insane!

-H

Great pics of a rarely seen species,
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers
Adam

As allways Henry great pics,

Any elapids on this trip? Where about s in the Kimberley were you this time?

Nick

love the Diporiphora superba. any idea if they are being bred in captivity?

Hey Henry,
Are you sure you didn't mix up your photos? Look so much like anoles to me. So common in the pet trade in the USA and Europe.
Bob

re Kimberey

Nice pictures henry,they used to have some of those at the reptile park when it was at wyoming near the gillens,really spectacular looking critters.:)

Beautiful tails!!! Probably a dmb question, but what's a gular fold? I know it has to do with the throat (hence gular)... but what is it and why is it so amazing they don't have one?

Philk: Well, the Diporiphora magna doesn't have a gular fold. The various skin folds around the head of Diporiphora are diagnostic characteristics. The three folds are gular (throat), postauricular (behind ear) and scapular (shoulder). It's not so important in the ID of superba, but magna is the only sp. with no gular fold (that i was likely to find in the kimberley).

Viridis: Same area as last time (North Kimberley), but i did spend a few days much closer to the coast, where i found a few critters, including the superba.

JasonL: I have heaps of photos, but they'll be in the upcoming "episodes". I'll put one on later tonight...

-H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back