Komodo Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakehandler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just a short post while working in Indonesia, we are helping on a documentary with Dr. Bryan Fry due to come out next year through BBC and Animal Planet, I have attached a few photos here, but more will come on the Snakehandler facebook fan page, when I finally arrive home. It has been an awesome experience, the image of me with the Komodo is with a wild one around Rinca Island, the snake is the local Russells Viper (Daboia siamensis). We have seen so much and spent an entire day observing natural behaviour, foraging of the young, and observing the speed and grace of the large monitors, to see a 3 meter 100kg monitor disappear into the savannah is mind blowing!
DSC_4798.jpgPicture 3.jpgDSC_5260.jpgDSC_5184.jpg
pencil.png

I visited the island of Komodo 13 years ago. It was an incredible journey that took three days to get there and back from Bali. I went by myself and hooked up with a couple of German and American tourists on the way. We got caught in a cyclone crossing from Sape on Sumbawa to Komodo so had to go the long route around the back of the Island. We only had 3 hours on Komodo and had trudged around for just over an hour without seeing a thing. We even visited the abandoned feeding station where tourists were treated to gruesome feeding frenzies of big Komodo's tearing through freshly killed goat carcasses in the hope of seeing a couple of the old monitors who may have returned there looking for food.

We were just about becoming frantic when our local guide, explained to us that not all visitors get to see Komodos. Then all of a sudden right there splayed on the path through the bush in the middle of a clearing was the biggest lizard I had ever seen. It was sunning itself and was in a resting position with forelimbs and hind legs splayed away from the body. We estimated this animal which the guide told us was a male to be at least 8 and half feet long and weighing as much as a fully grown man. It was like looking at a fully grown and recently fed Freshwater crocodile. If anyone has ever seen a fully grown freshy you will know what I mean they are pretty impressive.

During the final 2 hours on the island we managed to see a further 3 dragons. Although they were big none were as impressive as the first one we spotted. The last one was actually on the beach as we were heading back to the boat. I followed it up the beach for probably 100 metres or so. I got as close to it as 2 to 3 metres away from it. The guide who was a National Parks Ranger would not let me get any closer. It was probably 7 feet long and weighed 60 kilos. You could hear the sand crunching as it took each step.

I can still remember that day on Komodo like it was only yesterday. Even though it was very brief and lasted only a few hours it was one of those really great moments you experience in your life that you treasure forever. I always wanted to write an article about my experience but never found the time.

I wholeheartedly concur with snakehandler when he says watching one of these animals trundle off into the bush is mindblowing. It was a priveledge that I will never forget.

You can vote for Komodo National park to become one of the new 7 wonders of the world...
Welcome to the official global voting platform of New7Wonders | New7Wonders

Get in and vote.....there are some great places there, but in my opinion one that must be there will preserve one of the most iconic reptiles in the world!

I have been very lucky to spend 7 days on the island.....we had up to six dragons around us at one stage...I have seen one massive male...easily 3 meters and over 100kg....and its the end of the dry season....lots of young ones too....the range was awesome..from only 50cm to the giants.....its was nice to just sit and observe....as they moved closer we moved back....no need to push our luck! Our park ranger guide had worked with the group for several days and observed us and our mannerisms around the dragons....then he permitted us to pat one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back