Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scorch

Reaction score
hi guys im looking at getting a lace monitor but i need to know everything first anything i should know about them befor i get one also im looking at ideas for a enclosure an wee to get my lace monitor from in melbourne any ideeas???

not for now but this is a year or 2 from now just getting a good start im getting 3 bearded dragons in afew weeks and iv had my heart set on a lace monitor since i was a little kid

not for now but this is a year or 2 from now just getting a good start im getting 3 bearded dragons in afew weeks and iv had my heart set on a lace monitor since i was a little kid

- - - Updated - - -

any advice is good and im getting the beardies as a starter till i find a good breeder adn enclosure for the monitor

Last edited:
Well, 3 beardies, or 300, aren't going to prepare you for a lace monitor.

You'd do well to start with a smaller monitor species and work your way up. Lacies are a dangerous reptile to keep, and you'll need a few years of monitor experience under your belt before considering a lace monitor.

Ridge-tailed monitor.

And then in a year or two, you could move up to a sand monitor.

I heard that sand monitors can be good beginner monitors if ur looking for something on the bigger side. But i dont really know for sure cause ive never owned any monitors.

If you're looking to work your way up from something small start with either Ridge-Tailed Monitors or Black-Headed Monitors. If you want to go straight for the big stuff go for either a Sand Monitor or Spencer's Monitor. Just don't get a Lacie until you have around 4-6 years of experience of monitor keeping under your belt I reckon. I'm at around 2 years so I still have a way to go before I think I'd be ready for a Lacie, so you're not alone mate.

As adults they need a lot of space which usually only an outdoor enclosure can provide. Although if you're just beginning with reptiles I wouldn't even think about a the setup just yet mate. Give yourself some more time, see how it goes with the beardies and then make a decision on were you plan to go from there.

v. panoptes and v. gouldii are fine monitors for beginners. They are pretty hardy. Its EXCELLENT to see that you are one of they few people that will research and animal FIRST! then acquire the preferred species. Not the other way around! If more people were like you then their would be less issues throughout! Good on ya!

V. panoptes as a beginners monitor jairusthevirus21. Really??? You have obviously never kept yellow spotteds. V. gouldii. Yes, but as suggested go with a smaller species first and work your way up.

Lacies are as hardy as hell but also very aggressive.
I refuse to even enter the enclose on hot days especially when their at head height on a tree basking .

Lacies are as hardy as hell but also very aggressive.
I refuse to even enter the enclose on hot days especially when their at head height on a tree basking .

I hear thee! :) Hot days are a nightmare when trying to feed them. I guess this is when pits really come in handy, as opposed to aviaries.

My big boy charges you and will stop just in front of you to feed. I think. I always pike it and throw the food before he gets to me. It's full on.

All the smaller monitors are useful for beginners, ackies and Bleack-headeds would be the most suitable in my opinion. The larger species such as Gould's, panoptes and particularly Lacies have the potential to cause serious injury if you cop a bite. There are numbers of people out there who have lived to regret the trust they placed in their "tame" monitors, and with Lacies, the switch from benign and passive to feeding mode can be so quick it's imperceptible and by then it's too late.

Jamie

Getting beardies first are a good start lace monitors can become big and very dangerous.They can become aggresive you just need to study them and learn there mannarisms If they start growling or a loud hiss leave them alone if they start puffing there neck up do the same if you dont they will run at you.But they are amazing lizards very shy for the first year or so.Theres no need to work your way up to lacies hey It was my first monitor or lizard I had been keeping snakes for about 6 months before hand but they dont have the ability to cause serious bodily harm so just be careful and respective and know your reptile and everything will be good

Well said Jamie
All the smaller monitors are useful for beginners, ackies and Bleack-headeds would be the most suitable in my opinion. The larger species such as Gould's, panoptes and particularly Lacies have the potential to cause serious injury if you cop a bite. There are numbers of people out there who have lived to regret the trust they placed in their "tame" monitors, and with Lacies, the switch from benign and passive to feeding mode can be so quick it's imperceptible and by then it's too late.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back