Lace Monitor Research Project

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The traps are checked regularly at all parts of the day. Our permit insists on this. Traps are placed always in the shade. And Minka, your delusional without SUN lol!

I no hazz your nothing but a professional :D

And very true hahaha you know me so well lol :lol:

Well done guys, keep up the good work. I have helped out with a Eastern Bearded Dragon study similar to what you are doing, it's amazing what you can learn and experience from this.

fantastic work guys, hope the colder weather doesn't restrict their movements too much for your results.

Thats incredible! Looks like its a very enjoyable job :D
Good Work ;)

Hey Minka,

Some are aggressive in the cage and some are not at all. Generally the ones trapped on hot days in the middle of the day are the most feisty! The last one pictured on releasing was very placid didn't bat an eyelid.

None the less, Jas looks pretty nervous reaching into that cage :)

fantastic work guys, hope the colder weather doesn't restrict their movements too much for your results.

Hey Chilli,

The restricted movement data is also what we want. Where they hibernate and how much they move in relation to temperatures. As it is an ongoing study, monitors will be studyied in all the different seasons. Our only worry is retrieving the GPS units once shed off. If it's under a big rock platform their will be a lot of digging lol!

Hazz - Awesome thread - will be great to see how the results pan out...

Great stuff. There was a beautiful monitor wandering through our picnic last week at Crosslands Reserve. They are awesome to watch, but we stayed a respectful distance from those claws.

HAZZARD WATCH THEM TAILS MATE!!!! seems really interesting lucky you .........RBB

Yes they carry on a bit don't they. Lucky i was good over a skipping rope when i was a kid. They find it hard to swing the tail within the cage so all is good.

I stay in the old police station at yerranderie too! I work with one of my mates dad, Steve Coulter who owns Weld on Wheels who is contracted to catchment and has put the gates in at the crossover and all the fences out there. I was there last about3 weeks back and we put the new fence up stopping 4wds getting up to the old homestead. Im not a fan of the old cop shop bit of an eerie place i think. I probably stay at the police station once every month or 2 so i might catch you out there one day.

I stay in the old police station at yerranderie too! I work with one of my mates dad, Steve Coulter who owns Weld on Wheels who is contracted to catchment and has put the gates in at the crossover and all the fences out there. I was there last about3 weeks back and we put the new fence up stopping 4wds getting up to the old homestead. Im not a fan of the old cop shop bit of an eerie place i think. I probably stay at the police station once every month or 2 so i might catch you out there one day.

Could very well do, we will be out there again in a fortnight. However sometimes we use the wollondilly or butchers huts for accomodation,

Ah so your responsible for all those friggin gates lol, we were whinging on the way out last night about how many there were lol!

Oh ok fair enough. We only ever use the police station unless we are working down the other end of town. Steve was saying that you guys were doing alot of research on the lacies. I always see them around the gumtree to the left of the generator shed. I think we will be out there again in the next few weeks. Last time we were there we caught Marty the caretaker (who left the other day) growing some plants LOL.

Heard about that, he like gardening and walking around in his dressing gown. We don't want the monitors that hang around campsites homsteads etc as there home range is affected by the food availability. Yes that monitor pictured is the one from the genny shed.

The UNI has also done this GPS work on dingoes and pigs in the same area!

LOL we were just finishing the fencing and he drove up into the bush at like 12 in the arvo and kept walking from his car to the bush and checking on us lol he then claimed he was just trying to shoot a fox LOL so we went and checked it out and there was a fence with freshly turned over dirt. He must have ripped them out before he ctopped getting access. He also stole all our bags of cement from out the front of the police station. Steve was also saying he thought you guys were testing the monitors thinking they may have mild venom in their saliva.

Not at this stage. It has been suggested by people who have been bitten by these monitors and we may have some pathologists interested in working on it.

hate to be 'that guy'
but i think its cruel to glue a pouch to a lace monitors back...

Ah well, i think its cruel to keep ignorant, do gooder, neanderthals alive.....but hey, your still here....so many problems could have been solved with a bucket of water and an appropriate dunking action.

Great thread Haz, dont want to take away from it but people need to learn....however slow they may do it.....

Jordan

Not at this stage. It has been suggested by people who have been bitten by these monitors and we may have some pathologists interested in working on it.
er, bit late. Bryan Fry has already published papers on this.

er, bit late. Bryan Fry has already published papers on this.

Fair enough,

I just had a squiz at them. Like i said it isn't part of our project, it was just suggested by monitor keepers who probably have not read his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back