Lace Monitor with MBD. (graphic)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I have shown my Lace Monitor with "Metabolic Bone Disease" on some other forums and I thought it was time I showed it to everyone here.

I bought a Lace Monitor back in October 2010 (she was 7 months old then). She got a big burn on her back 2 days before I picked her up, but that wasnt a big deal for me, as I was buying her for her amazing temperament (which is still amazing today). When I picked her up, the owner talked me through how hes been keeping and feeding her. Her enclosure was a wardrobe decked out with big branches and mesh doors, her diet was lots of chicken breast from the supermarket cut into strips and 1 mouse every 2 weeks.

Later that night and realized she was "shaking" and looked very unable to move properly, which was very confusing for me, because when I got her, she was strong and could move fine. I figured it was stress from the hour long drive when she regurgitated, so I left her till the morning. The next morning she was still "shaking" and had regurgitated again, but the main problem was, she had "BENT" her snout down from pushing on the glass doors all night. This is when I booked her into the reptile vet, which almost didnt happen because they were booked out for a couple of days, but they made a spot for me because of how bad it sounded.

The reptile vet had a look at her and told me she had "Metabolic Bone Disease" and according to there records, there hasn't been a Lace Monitor to ever have this disease before (her bones were like rubber and bent all over the place). We talked for a while and had some x-rays done, he (along with some forum people, eg. crocdoc) informed me the MBD was caused by the previous owner feeding her nothing but supermarket chicken breast, instead of hole small animals. The vet told me to give her oral injections of calcium morning and night everyday for around about a year, plus oral food injections every sencond day (because she couldnt eat on her own) and I would have to bring her back from time to time, to see how she was going and get another x-ray.

Jumping forwards 11 months, her bones have almost fully recovered, she is now eating fuzzie rats, but I have to force the head of the rat past the bend in her jaw first. The vet has no doubt she will be eating on her own within 6 months, she also had some fractures in her upper ribs that have healed, she is just left with some deformed ribs, joints, snout and a couple of kinks here and there. She still has the most amazing, placid temperament. I can hold her, pat her, I even let her walk around outside on her own with nothing to stop her from running away.

Well I think its time you all saw some pictures of what can happen if you dont feed your reptiles the proper food.
e757a3b2.jpg

c6060ea3.jpg

a3469ca8.jpg

6e1b4e24.jpg

And the x-rays.
1st. Notice how dull the bones are, there's very little calcium there. Also she is a bit bloated. She has deformed elbow joints, kinks in her tail, fractures in her upper ribs, her snout is bent down and to top it all off, she has broken her little toe.
f57cff4c.jpg

2nd. I was giving her calcium injections twice a day for, I think? 3 months before getting this X-ray. Notice how bright the bones are. This is how they should look. She is also still very bloated.
15ca8308.jpg

3rd. 6 months since last X-ray. The bloating is now gone and her stomach is at the size it should be. She will always have the kinks, deformed elbow joints, deformed upper ribs and bent snout.
72f8a670.jpg

4th. 1 month since last X-ray. Side view of head. First of all, LOOK AT THOUGHS TEETH! I'm glad she can't bite
biggrin.png
Now notice the jaw bends like a boomerang, but when she opens her mouth, it bends the other way. Her whole head should be strait.
a91fb9a6.jpg

I am still amazed that this much damage was caused by simply feeding the wrong foods. Don't be cheap when it comes to the health of your reptiles, feed them properly.

Thats no good at all, though it isn't the first one I have seen. Any Lizard will get MBD if not fed calcium in some form, and meat only diets are bad, bad, bad.....

Btw, her calm temperament probably has a lot to do with her health issues, had she been bought up healthy and strong she may of been a very different animal.

I'm glad the poor girl's in good hands. It's nice to know there are people out there with the patience to take care of animals who really need it.
Thank you for the warning.

Whole food items!! I really do get tired of people asking which mince & cat or dog foods are the best. Because the answer is none of them. Great photos though showing the progress, poor bugger.

this reallly upset me, thank goodness shes getting better.

Btw, her calm temperament probably has a lot to do with her health issues, had she been bought up healthy and strong she may of been a very different animal.

Ya sorry, I forgot to mention that part, that's exactly what happened.

Thats no good at all, though it isn't the first one I have seen. Any Lizard will get MBD if not fed calcium in some form, and meat only diets are bad, bad, bad.....

You've seen another Lace Monitor with MBD? Did it have any deformities?

wow!!
what were u feeding her?

The vet gave me some mushy food, made for sick cats and dogs called a/d. It had all the vitamins that the lacie needed in her sick stage. I had to mix it up with water, freeze it in ice cube trays and when needed defrost it, suck it up with a syringe and inject it orally.

Last edited:
As horrible as her lack of care was (prior to you) her nose deformity is kinda cute, you should name her gonzo :p

By the way i'm not saying in anyway its a good thing, I understand its terrible that she was so sick but she's in good hands now obviously!!!

The poor animal, very sad. Kudos to you for your part, well done.

It's a sad story but congrats on doing such a great job of caring for a very sick animal.

Not even for a second, have I ever thought I got ripped off in buying this lacie, even though she's cost me so much time and money in vet bills, because if I didn't get her, she would probably be dead. She is the most interesting and interactive reptile I have and I wouldn't get rid of her for anything.

Last edited:
Good on you for taking care of her, shes beautiful.

pooe wee girl she is beautiful and i am glad shes found someone to love and take care of her..you have done an amazing job!

RSP are they the pics of her today? Or when you first got her?

If they are today's pics..omg...would of hated to see what she was like then...I cannot believe that someone has let that happen to an animal. Thanks heavens for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back