Lake moogerah field herping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof_Moreliarty

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have a friend who I will be visiting and as he lives on some acreage not far from lake moogerah and the national park there in qld. I thought it would be an excellent time to go field herping just wanted to know what I can expect to find and any tips people might have. :)

You need to PM "Monica Katone", if she still visits APS, if not, try Facebook.

Thanks mate will do. I take it she is very knowledgable on the area?

I doubt Monica will be able to help. She is a long way from moogerah. She could help with moondarra though.

Spotlighting at any of the NPs surrounding Moogerah will produce oodles of Robust Velvet Geckos, Tyrons Velvet Geckos, the usual snake suspects like Brown tree, Small eyeds and Coastal carpets with the odd Spotted Python thrown in too.

The track at the dam wall closes at sunset. At Mt Greville (the mountain at the southern end of the lake) the track starts on the Eastern side and it's easy to get disorientated in the dark.

The best bet would be to go to Mt French. It has a groovy Western facing cliff which holds heat well, has a track to its base and is just a matter of keeping your eyes open with a good torch. Car park is at the top of the mountain too.

Plenty of non herp wildlife to be seen at night in the area as well.

Good luck, and post the pics up afterwards when you are done.

cheers

My dad has a cabin there with a yellow face whip snake living under it

Spotlighting at any of the NPs surrounding Moogerah will produce oodles of Robust Velvet Geckos, Tyrons Velvet Geckos, the usual snake suspects like Brown tree, Small eyeds and Coastal carpets with the odd Spotted Python thrown in too.

The track at the dam wall closes at sunset. At Mt Greville (the mountain at the southern end of the lake) the track starts on the Eastern side and it's easy to get disorientated in the dark.

The best bet would be to go to Mt French. It has a groovy Western facing cliff which holds heat well, has a track to its base and is just a matter of keeping your eyes open with a good torch. Car park is at the top of the mountain too.

Plenty of non herp wildlife to be seen at night in the area as well.

Good luck, and post the pics up afterwards when you are done.

cheers

thanks mate some great info there.should be able to borrow decent camera so will hopefully get some nice shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back