Land Crabs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colour guide to invertebrates of Australian inland waters
1997. John H. Hawking and Felicity J. Smith. CRC for Fresh Water Ecology. 213pp.
“This handbook is designed as an aquatic invertebrate “ready-reckoner” for students, fishermen, community based river
watch personnel, amateur collectors and stream ecologists who need identifications in the field. The book is a field
guide with 200 colour photographs of the more easily recognisable invertebrates of Australian inland waters. The
book lists the groups of aquatic organisms and provides some taxonomic and ecological information to help identify
specimens to the order/family level, and in many cases to a lower level.”

General Reviews of Inland Aquatic Invertebrates
There are various publications reviewing the range of aquatic fauna in inland Australia, including
identifications guides. These include: Life in Inland Waters (Williams 1983); Australian Freshwater Life
(Williams 1980); the Colour Guide to Invertebrates of Australian Inland Waters (Hawking & Smith
1997); Williams and Campbell (1987); Williams and Allen (1987); Williams (1985, 1998a, 1998b, 1998c,
1999); and Yen and Butcher (1997).
Williams (1998a, 1998b & 1998c) summarises knowledge of the invertebrate fauna of Australian inland
wetlands including the origins of the fauna (Williams 1998

Colour guide to invertebrates of Australian inland waters
1997. John H. Hawking and Felicity J. Smith. CRC for Fresh Water Ecology. 213pp.
“This handbook is designed as an aquatic invertebrate “ready-reckoner” for students, fishermen, community based river
watch personnel, amateur collectors and stream ecologists who need identifications in the field. The book is a field
guide with 200 colour photographs of the more easily recognisable invertebrates of Australian inland waters. The
book lists the groups of aquatic organisms and provides some taxonomic and ecological information to help identify
specimens to the order/family level, and in many cases to a lower level.”

General Reviews of Inland Aquatic Invertebrates
There are various publications reviewing the range of aquatic fauna in inland Australia, including
identifications guides. These include: Life in Inland Waters (Williams 1983); Australian Freshwater Life
(Williams 1980); the Colour Guide to Invertebrates of Australian Inland Waters (Hawking & Smith
1997); Williams and Campbell (1987); Williams and Allen (1987); Williams (1985, 1998a, 1998b, 1998c,
1999); and Yen and Butcher (1997).
Williams (1998a, 1998b & 1998c) summarises knowledge of the invertebrate fauna of Australian inland
wetlands including the origins of the fauna (Williams 1998
love your work Inky:D
thats the one were after , i will chase that one down.

</IMG>

Looks like they're about to get popular bylo! Don't sell all of them, hey?

Im still deciding between crab and scorpion .

Which is better characteristic for entertain?

crabs are heaps better to watch as you can actually see them most of the time and adapt well to aquarium life. Scorpions spend most of the time hiding and are fairly hard to watch, some species spend most of the time in fairly deep burrows.

Scopions are interesting to keep, just fairly boring as far as watching them goes.

Crabs would be way more interesting than scorps IMO. But I still like scorps!

My hermit crabs are very entertaining. At this moment one of them is trying to climb the thermostat probe cord. Not too successfully - he is too big. A couple of the smaller ones used to do it and hang off the roof off my aquarium for hours.

I've heard these crabs are very active and responsive to movement etc. My scorps run away with movement, and it mkes observing them a little hard

23_09_07003.jpg

23_09_07002.jpg

23_09_07001.jpg

I'll upload some more in a sec, he has now turned around and is hanging onto the cord, starring at me.

I guess atleast if it falls and breaks its shell it can just get a new one.

Reminds me of my gillens monitors climbing the thermometer cord(very thin) they climbed a little and slipped off, then suddenly worked out how to climb it and nearly shot off out of the tank :lol:

They have lots of personality. He (Goliath) is the largest, an ok handler and a bit of a bully at times. Likes to sit in the highest spot he can for hours on end. He is also the most active.

Next biggest is Hannibal. He is a great handler, and is one of my originals, he is somewhat smaller than Goliath and doesn't come out that much at the moment - likes digging holes and sitting in them - think he maybe getting ready to moult (stressful :( )

A little smaller than hannibal is twitch. Twitch is entirely nocturnal - I dont see him much at all, he digs a cave and hides in it during the day - I only worked out he was coming out at night the other day when I got home pissed at about 3 am to find twitch at the front of the tank starring out into my room. Twitch is grumpy - he doesn't like being woken and will threaten you with his big claw - and pinch any piece of palm he can get his claw to if you let him. Only if that doesn't work will he actually stick his head out.

Aaand the baby - by far the smallest is a little fellow called Peg Leg. Peggy is missing the bottom part of his little claw and is terribly skittish. He is also very very fast and scoots around the place at the slighest sign of movement.

Poor Pegleg! I dunno what it is but they've never much appealed to me.
Are they messy? Do they smell?
(Bylo, same question to you about your land crabs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back