Land Crabs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just because they are exotic doesnt mean we cant keep them, as far as i know hermit crabs are not native. And since there is a company that sells them live in aus i assume you can keep them.

would be kinda cool, but difficult if u live in southern states. up in cairns you could prob keep them outside

just because they are exotic doesnt mean we cant keep them, as far as i know hermit crabs are not native. And since there is a company that sells them live in aus i assume you can keep them.
Hmm good point. And there are exotic fish too... dammit, why not herps, tarantulas, scorpions and centipedes then!

EDIT: huge crabs like these live on Christmas Is. don't they? They're called Robber Crabs there..

got back from cambodia a few weeks ago and got these photos of some freshwater crabs that kids were catching in the rice paddies.

Last edited:
geez simon, you get around, i'll be up your way in a couple of weeks if you wanted to catch up

pm me your mobile and i'll call and see if your in, still at the same place?

Hermit crabs are native. The type kept in australia is the "Australian land hermit crab" Coenobita variabilis.

Hermit crabs are native. The type kept in australia is the "Australian land hermit crab" Coenobita variabilis.

i actually read that our aussie species are not allowed to be sold due to being tghreatened species due to over collection but not 100% sure.

Last edited:

never knew that, then again i didnt know we had any freshwater crabs untill i pulled some up in a bait trap. Do you know where in australia they come from?

never knew that, then again i didnt know we had any freshwater crabs untill i pulled some up in a bait trap. Do you know where in australia they come from?
i found some freshwater crabs while pig shooting about 150km south of winton (queensland).

jesus those coconut hermit are huges.

are these available in aus?

never seen these type anywhere

not actually hermits but yes, i do know a supplier in WA
Apparently they do start life off as hermits, then when they outgrow any possible shell they curl their abdomen underneath them.
http://www.abc.net.au/nature/island/ep2/gallery/15.htm Great pic of the Robber Crab..
Hornet how popular are these in captivity? I'd imagine they're a real handful.. Have you heard? How much does he sell them for? Way down the track I'd love one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back