Last couple weeks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
Don't have alot to show for the last couple weeks due to my broken down car, pretty disapointing too cause this is the best time of year for the more cryptic species. But here's what i have to share anyway.

No idea what this is...
PB240160.jpg

PB240161.jpg

Or this...
PB240165.jpg

Or this disgusting creature! Had me dancing all over the road trying to keep away from it.
PB240174.jpg

PB240176.jpg

I think i killed this little fella whn i was collecting firewood.
PC010186.jpg

PC010187.jpg

I think these two are C. inornatus, very common here. We have big colonies living under the school buildings.
PC030194.jpg

PC030195.jpg

PB240166.jpg

PB240167.jpg

PB240171.jpg

PB240172.jpg

This photo is lol.
PC130220.jpg

PC130221.jpg

And then this big disgusting thing that turned up in my yard and beat my dog up one fruitless herping night.
PB240177.jpg

PB240178.jpg

He's actually quite famous in the NT now, i think he was looking for my wheelie bin... Who's bin makin' bacon | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

And that's it for the year from Arnhem Land! Enjoy until next year when i fix my car!

amazing finds!
i love the first frog

and pede is ethmostigmus rubripes like i told you before :p
how big was it?

3rd pic looks like litoria fallax but not sure if they are near you?
and 1st frog looks like litoria but i have no idea :p

That disgusting scuttling creature was about 15cm long. I thought it was gecko running around on the road but nooooooope!

amazing finds!
i love the first frog

and pede is ethmostigmus rubripes like i told you before :p
how big was it?

First is Litoria dahli, second is Litoria bicolor (presuming there's no other sedge frog species in the area?)
Nice work, I'm still going to come visit one day!

Jordo i've got a bed made up and the drinks fridge all stocked up ready for the first visitor... no one has come yet! I've been herping at a tonne of different places for hours and hours but i've still never found anywhere that has the diversity and biomass of this place! I find so many that i hardly ever go out for more than an hour, I recon it's the uranium!

What species is the poor little guy with all the ants Gordo?
If I come to visit will you take me hunting :p

oh.. I will come visit if I can shoot a gun , lots :D

And the first pic is of a frog.

yea second definitely looks like a northern dwarf (Litoria bicolor). Heaps of them down Holmes Jungle if you follow the little creek out of the drain they are super easy to find despite being so small. they make the loudest unique sound.

that first one is really pretty never seen anything like it :)

Last edited:
Sounds awesome! I finish study in April so I'll aim for Sep/Oct. Someone needs to go up there to teach you how to ID frogs so it might as well be me!

July through september are pretty ordinary, too dry and cold and then too hot and dry. All you get is skinks and black whips during the day and the odd sickly looking water python at night. Late October starts to get good but you don't get many different species and you have to work for them, no easy finds. But you do have good access to country then.

Just do it... and drag Jay along too, he's been promising to visit for ages but is all talk!

I'm not all talk, I need to get more repticks so I will be there.
Plan on a big trip up there and also out to WA with some smaller runs around SA inbetween and a trip to SE Asia in the off season. Got the herping all planned out.
What is the best month to go then (and can you get time off work)?
As for Jay - all I can do is try, he has trouble getting work off a lot of the time so it's a bit hard sometimes.

Have to agree that the first is Dahl’s Aquatic Frog (Litoria dahlii) – note the degree of webbing on the back feet. These are often a good sized frog. Agree the second is the Northern Dwarf Tree-frog (Litoria bicolour) – tiny but delightful and as was mentioned, make a hell of a racket for their size. Although they are very similar in appearance and size, L. fallax does not occur in the NT.

He gecko is interesting. There is a possibility it is an unusually marked Bynoe’s Gecko and a possibility that it is an unnamed species of Nactus. While the latter option would seem unlikely, the apparently keeled scales on the dorsal surface would seem to support this. To determine which genus it belongs to, you need to examine the underneath of the tips of the digits. Heteronotia species have two ventro-lateral apical plates underneath the claw while Nactus have only one ventral apical lamella.

The Ctenotus look like coggeri but would need closer shots to confirm that 100%.

Blue

You always make greatvthreads Gordo ..

That big green bastard is litoria dahli (not sure on spelling just know the name). They are poisonous, most stuff still ate em though :)

... That big green bastard is litoria dahli (not sure on spelling just know the name). They are poisonous, most stuff still ate em though :)
What makes you say they are poisonous?

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back