Last nights walk in downtown Hobbiton

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonL

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
A mate and myself went to check out what was about after a relative hot day and weren't disappointed with what we came across....
Underwoodies were out in large numbers, we got sick of seeing them after a while, one was exceptionally large so I took some pics of it...
zzzzz-15.jpg

we would of found about 15 - 20 of them, the place was crawling with them... then I found a grubby skinny little smalleye, just when I was about to kick it off the road in discust ;), I saw a flash of red... yay, a red naped! not an overly common snake in the area so was really pleasing to find one..
zzzz-13.jpg

zzzzzzz-6.jpg

zzzzzzzz-6.jpg

then we found a few other things, a couple of Broadtail geckos, a few common frog species and on the way back we came across a pair of Suger Gliders... fantastic! as these arn't overly common around the area either.... these guys were pretty kosher with us and didn't mind a few pics.... ( I hate you Victorians and SA'ers)
zzzzzz-11.jpg

zzz-19.jpg

zz-25.jpg

z-30.jpg

all up not a bad night for a mid weeker.....

geeze mate looks like a good spot. Only species I have seen In large numbers is bynoes. Would love to find thickies and broad tailed geckos in large numbers, Guess i'll have to find a good spot. Never seen any geckos in NSW with the exception of a few lesiures velvet geckos.

Some great shots, I love the Drosera/Furina pics.
I need to get out more. Since moving to near Hobbiton I have given up on herping, but that appears to be my loss!

geeze mate looks like a good spot. Only species I have seen In large numbers is bynoes. Would love to find thickies and broad tailed geckos in large numbers, Guess i'll have to find a good spot. Never seen any geckos in NSW with the exception of a few lesiures velvet geckos.

The trick is just to get out there at night.... most people freak out about walking in the bush at night, but if you can get over your fear of the dark, you see heaps of geckos and no need to lift rocks ect...

The trick is just to get out there at night.... most people freak out about walking in the bush at night, but if you can get over your fear of the dark, you see heaps of geckos and no need to lift rocks ect...

How late must you go? how hot must it be? Ive tried various times starting at 8pm and going to 11pm is that late enough?

Some great shots, I love the Drosera/Furina pics.
I need to get out more. Since moving to near Hobbiton I have given up on herping, but that appears to be my loss!

Maybe you you join " Hobbit Herpers" we have secret meetings every couple of months..

How late must you go? how hot must it be? Ive tried various times starting at 8pm and going to 11pm is that late enough?

yeah, that fine, has to be over 20 degrees (except for platurus), so a stinking hot day without a southerly in the arvo....

Aw, that would be lovely! Always keen unless I'm too drunk ;)

sorry to hyjack thread but with those cicadas when do you go to get them?

Those pics are great, good work on the red-naped & the sugar gliders! Do you get Powerful Owls in your area? They don't mind chowing down on a glider or two (& they're pretty good at dismembering fruit bats too).

Very nice, Jason. After all these years, I have still not seen a Red-naped Snake here on the coast. They certainly are much more common in the drier country.

The Sugar Gliders were so nice. I usually just hear their yapping but don't see them all that often.

Regards,
David

Those pics are great, good work on the red-naped & the sugar gliders! Do you get Powerful Owls in your area? They don't mind chowing down on a glider or two (& they're pretty good at dismembering fruit bats too).

Yes, I have seen Powerful Owls here, I found one lasy yeah sitting next to what appeared to be a glider (was hard to see) that was screaming... not 100% sure what was going on as neither wanted to move..... didn't look all that good for the little fury critter though.

You hate us SA'ers...... no you don't Jason. I must say, just to rib it in though, the Sugar Gliders really are a thrill to keep (besides the aggression and dog like yelping on occassion), I might get some after-dark shots of mine later just for you.

YAY Jason bit better herping effort ...still ...couldve thrown a little bit more in the mix ;)
lmao ...:) loving that red naped though ...

nice shots of the sugar gliders, I have tried getting shots before but my flash is never good enough as they are usually to high. have you ever come accross quolls down your way? very nice to see a sydney red naped being posted, don't really hear of people finding them much, I still have to find one up this way, was it found in drier part of the park? definately beats a small eyed, thats for sure. do you see red napeds much?

You hate us SA'ers...... no you don't Jason. I must say, just to rib it in though, the Sugar Gliders really are a thrill to keep (besides the aggression and dog like yelping on occassion), I might get some after-dark shots of mine later just for you.

haha... yeah thanks....far better then a cat imo, aggression or not....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back