Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Any one else find the latin (scientific) names of some reptiles frustrating? For example, I always though amyae was pronounced Am-yay but I've been told its ay-mee-ee? So how do you pronounce Amyae?
Also, I've always pronounced Levis as its spelt Lev-is. Is that correct?

The way you pronounce it really dosent matter to me.
It's just easier then common names when you are reading or in general conversation as you know exactly what species or sub species you are talking about.

I say Amyae as Ay mee ay
and Levis as Lev is

I find latin names pretty cool. If you didn't already know, they normally mean something which describes the animal, which kind of makes it easier to remember.

Like Nephrurus stellatus, stellatus actually means stars, which is why the common name is starred or starry or something along those lines. When you look at a stellatus, you'll see their back is covered with little dots that kind of look like stars in the sky.

As for Amyae, I've always pronounced it am-yay and I've only heard it like that. Levis, I pronounce like the jeans lol.

People even pronounce common names differently, like Woma for example, I've always said wo-ma where as some people say woah-ma.

Nephrurus amyae is named in honour of a female named Amy - the correct pronounciation is "Amy-ay".

Latin names are somewhat confusing and overwhelming initially, but eventually start to make a lot of sense. The best way for someone to learn them is to only refer to animals by their latin names - it will become second nature.

Cheers

Learn something new everyday, that's pretty cool :)

It's also really good when or if you start taking to people who are from over seas.
Saying Copper-head to an American is very different to saying to an Australian.

But sometimes when one of us noobies try to use the latin names we use the wrong one and get flamed hardcore for it,it makes me very shy about trying out my latin,and sometimes it is just too much work to look it up when chatting.so the easy terms, common names,are easier to use.

No, you're just to lazy to use google or read.
Literally just type in the Common Name in and it comes up.

Last edited:
Nobody would flame you for getting things wrong while you're still learning. However, plenty of people would (should) get up for being too lazy to type something into Google because it's "too much work"

SL I've always pronounced amyae the way you do but never been interested enough in gex to ask the correct way. I think you learn a few little rules as you go that help when you see a new word (e.g. I recently learned that "i" at the end of a word is pronounced "eye" so now I know that when I see it in new names)

No no no,i have 2 books that i keep by me,no googling,i remember stuff better if i look it up myself the old fashioned way.one is about aussie lazards and the other is basic aussie snakes.would like to invest in some good reptile books but $$$$ is the problem.so i come here to the wise and educated on the forum.
don't forget im getting old,not that computer savvy,my son teaches me how to use this thing.lol

Latin names are brilliant when speaking or writing to other herpos. Mind you if I used Oxyuranus to people while giving a demo I would get some weird looks... Taipan is much more known to the masses.

Latin names are something that the pronuciation is widely mistaken.. To the point where just about everyone makes or has made mistakes. I would not about it too much.

Cheers
Scott

Sookie and Scott have a valid point. It depends upon the context. So if you are chatting, on the phone to a friend, doing a public demonstration etc then common names are acceptable and practical. If you are communicating to individuals outside of your region or state or country (as Jannico illustrated), then inclusion of the scientific name is appropriate and necessary to remove any possible confusion over the species of animal to which you are referring. There are some grey areas - in which case the use of both is advisable. For example, if you were doing a public demonstration and talking about bluetongues (a subject close to my heart lol) you would explain the existence of different species and indicate just which species you are referring to by including its scientific name.

With the scientific names there are certain rules for pronunciation based on their Latin origins. You can google pronouncing Latin names and that will help. Just to slightly correct an example given. A name ending in a single “i” is pronounced “ee”; a name ending in “ii” is pronounced “ee-eye”. The ending “ae” is pronounced as you wound say the letter “a”. A regular pain in the cloaca! But as Jonno suggested, the best way to learn them is to try and use them as often as practical.

Definitely not one of my strong suites but I am too old to have an ego about it, so when someone corrects me my stock retort is “Aaah! So that’s how it’s pronounced. Thanks.”

Blue

No, just forgot to hit the copy button. I seldom ever type directly into the forum. same with emails. Reason: I am a woeful two finger sight typist. If it is possible to have typing dyslexia, then that's me!

Blue

There are a sites that does Latin pronunciation for you so you can hear it said. I cant find the link currently.

I find my photography has helped me remember Latin names because that is what I file them under on my computer, I do still struggle with pronunciation, but find with some of the more obscure species that other herpo's will more readily understand what animal you are talking about when latin is pronounced badly rather than using common names, in fact most reptiles probably don't have common names.

Good point about using latin names for overseas people. For example, a whipsnake here is different to a whipsnake in America or Europe or Malaysia.

I actually like trying to break down the latin like Pseudonaja for example, into pseudo, sort of meaning like and naja, which is the latin name for cobra, giving you the reason for the name of Browns would be "like cobra". This isn't exact, just an example.......sort of.:)

antaresia how do pronounce that ???
and somone should make a vid of just the names lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back