Laws on importing and exporting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crail4

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering how i could purchase an animal from a different state in Australia to Sydney and am curious about the laws?
I am wanting to get these types of animals, Common tree snake, brown tree frog and (probably frowned upon and i don't know if this animal can be kept in Aus) a Cane Toad. I can't find any of these in NSW and don't have a reptile licence im just wondering for the near future.

You need to get import permits for the natives, you most definately cannot keep cane toads as pets, especialy not in NSW where we thankfully don't have them this far south(yet)

there was actually a group of cane toads found west (i think) of Sydney not so long ago so Cane toads are an invasive species so were aloud to kill them any way we like but not keep them in captivity. Thats a strange rule i supose it so somebody doesn't introduce them into our local ecosystem. How do i get an import permit and is it hard to get/afford?

I come from England where there is limited wildlife and i personally think the cane toad would make an excellent pet (excluding the fact that it could be a potential threat to native wildlife) Its just i saw one at Taronga zoo a while back and thought id like one as i have an interest in Amphibians.

there was actually a group of cane toads found west (i think) of Sydney not so long ago so Cane toads are an invasive species so were aloud to kill them any way we like but not keep them in captivity. Thats a strange rule i supose it so somebody doesn't introduce them into our local ecosystem. How do i get an import permit and is it hard to get/afford?

First thing you need is a reptile license... no one would legally sell you a reptile without one.

im aware of that unfortunately i am not of legal age to acquire one until next november i am just looking into the species that i wish to keep in the future, and am curious on Australian laws for State exporting?

Once you get the license it's pretty straight foward, apply for the import permit and pay the fee. Bear in mind species are on different categories from state to state, so there may be some species you won't be allowed to keep depending on your license conditions.

That would be the first thing I would be researching....

You get your reptile licence from NPWS and then you pay for an import permit, it's not difficult or expensive as long as the person you are buying off doesn't mind waiting while it's all processed

Let me guess the best advice your parents gave you is, if its to hard just give up. someone else will sort it.
Any geezer that thinks keeping cane toad is a good idea should be put off keeping reptiles full stop.

Australian native fauna that have been killed by eating or mouthing Cane Toads include goannas, Freshwater Crocodile, Tiger Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Death Adder, Dingo and Western Quoll.

Any geezer that thinks keeping cane toad is a good idea should be put off keeping reptiles full stop.

Australian native fauna that have been killed by eating or mouthing Cane Toads include goannas, Freshwater Crocodile, Tiger Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake, Death Adder, Dingo and Western Quoll.

How does keeping one in a tank affect any of these species? I think you need to lay off the OP. He was asking legitimate questions on stuff he didn't know about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back