Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you think Tasmanian herp laws should be how they are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie97

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi this is for school do you think the Tasmanian reptile laws should be as follows?
Agamidae (Dragons)
Scincidae (Skinks)
[h=2]Serpentes (Snakes)[/h]Elapidae (Elapids)
any one in Tasmania can keep 6 adults of each species and selling is not aloud so you either have to have one donated to you or captured from the wild

my main concern is that anyone can keep elapids, i can and i have no idea they are on the same lisence as my blueys and mountain dragons. go figure

lisence is free all you need is a persons signature over the age of 18
then send away and you are done

we have to do an assignment on something controversial so i thought this would be more interesting than asylum seekers :D

Last edited:
I think it should be required that you need to do a special course and be over 18 to keep dangerous elapids in Tas. However, people must build up to getting a Tiger snake or copperhead so I think whitelips should be allowed for everyone as they are the least dangerous of the three, and I think to get the dangerous elapids it must be required to keep a whitelip for a while, plus the over 18 thing and the special course. I'm pretty sure whitelips are of the same toxicity as a whip or marsh snake, and they're allowed on a rec license in mainland aus.
Also I think you should be able to breed and sell reptiles. The numbers you can catch from the wild are restricted, but still it'd be better if they outlawed catching from the wild and made it so you must get it from a breeder. I hate to imagine how many people catch from the wild and have no idea how to care for the animal, plus I bet some people would catch a Tiger Snake or whatever and keep it for fun and not have any idea how dangerous it is.

Last edited:
i am pretty sure the white lips have the same venom they just have less of it as in tassie if you get bit they use the same anti venom for all the 3 elapids

oh and woops you cant even keep all those herps cause there are different endangered species that we cant keep as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back