lazy lizard?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breannew

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I find my beardie likes to sleep in lately, or just dig in his sand and lay in the hole. Is that normal behaviour?

What sort of lights have you got for him. Without a proper uv light, bearded dragons can/ and most likely will develop problems such as MBD(metabolic bone disorder) which can produce symptoms of lethargy and what not. After time uv lights will reduce the amount of uv they produce, I think it is best to replace the uv about once every year. what brand uv bulb are you using? the spiral ones have had some bad rep in the past, I stick with a UVB tube and its important to note that the percentage written on the box should say UVB 10% as 5% isn't enough. Lethargy could also indicate a number of other problems, is your bearded eating every day, and drinking.
To be honest, I have never seen my beardeds drink from there water bowl, I don't know why but I spray water on the veggies just to keep their fluids up.

I've got this exact same problem with my blue tongue lizard Jinxy, she's always in her hide hole, and rarely ever comes out, but my other bluey Jarrah is always up...could my bluey have a problem? or is it just what they do?

Both the uv, and uvb i believe it's called are new. I replace them every 8 month's roughly. Hes gimped in his one arm which slows him down a tad, but he gets a pretty healthy dose of calcium between horm worms, butter worms and some powder of his veggies. Hes doesn't drink water out of his dish, I have to spray it in his mouth or put him in the tub. Nothing really jumps out at me that's he's not okay,i just didn't know if other readies sleep in lol

It may just be brumation. If he has been doing this over winter that is pretty normal. My beardeds have stayed active over winter but they are only 7-10 months, I think they start brumating during winter when they reach 18months or so, every bearded is different though. Sounds like you are doing everything fine, i wouldn't worry unless you notice any signs of illness.

Thank you, i never thought of it but the weather up here has been changing rather dramatic. Fall is coming! Thanks everyone for your imput, I worry to much. Better safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back