Leaf-Tail advice plz

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natrix

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just did an impulse purchase at the Castle Hill expo today of a leaf-tailed gecko , It's the first herp I've bought with legs.
I've got a bunch of enclosures etc around the place & have bought some crickets & meal worms ,
so I have all i'll need I think.

What temps should I run him at ?
what about humidity ?
how much & how often should I feed him ?
anything else that I should know ?

I'm assuming you purchased a Phyllurus platurus, if so, I wouldn't offer any heating considering your exactly where wild populations are.

Deck the enclosure out with lots of branches etc for climbing.

Keep it cool, either don't heat it or offer a small heated area of 26 degrees. They prefer hiding in rock crevices so build a (stable) stack of either thin rocks or perhaps bricks. They'll happily squeeze into the tight gaps (quite often upside down).

Thanks guys , that's helpfull , cheers.

Daniel : not sure if it's the one you mean , I bought it from Jason --colourful critters.
Mr Bredli : I haven't checked out the Latin name yet , but it's a southern leaf-tail gecko from this area(Syd) so I'm told.
I got him all set-up now & he's taken a couple of crickets & meal worms.

yep , it is P .Platurus

Last edited:
mine love hanging upside down and hanging around in rock crevises etc. humidity is best at high ( around 80%). feed them a few insects (i feed mine crix, sometimes roaches) every 2 -3 days. how big is your new one?

I never realised Sydney had such a high humidity percentage, would have thought it would have given the gecko respiratory problems?

Riley just stated that they require80% humidity. Phyllurus platurus are a Sydney endemic species thus saying Sydney has up to 80% humidity.

Riley just stated that they require80% humidity. Phyllurus platurus are a Sydney endemic species thus saying Sydney has up to 80% humidity.

i understand that,

but since sydney doesn't have that high a humidity level normaly, why would you kep a leaf-tail in such a humid environment.
i'd expect it to be more like 50-60%

You Should Feed It Two Time's A Day.

Ehhh?????

If it's an adult a once weekly feed during winter is fine (some don't feed at all during the winter period), in summer twice to three times weekly is fine.

These geckos can often be found in very close proximity to waterfalls and cascades. There's no need to monitor the actual humidity levels but it's a good idea to give the cage a decent misting everyday or two as, like most geckos, they prefer to lick up droplets of water rather than drink from a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back