Legally exported python out of Australia????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, interesting. I know it's illegal to import exotics but i don't know about exporting laws ;) but great topic! I'm sure someone with more knowledge will help you out though.

ARP traded rsp and morph blueys with O/S zoos. Seeing as they are prolific breeders it is surprising that they aren't more abundant in private collections by now.
There is also a trade in smuggled herps from Australia. Thats probably why the albino carpets suddenly appeared there as adults.

It is a shame that they are being smuggled to overseas countries. I felt privileged to be in the only country that have these great and rare snakes (RSP).

Making it illegal to export snakes keeps the price high and so makes worthwhile for the smugglers and encourages less than ideal transport arrangements.On welfare grounds alone legal export will encourage betteraccomodation during transport. What is the problem with allowing Aussie snakes and animals to be legally exported? It seems a very old and parocial sentiment!

Nikki, if you read the replies you will see that they were LEGALLY exported.

Some may have been smuggled, yes. But some have been legally sent.

I think it has a lot to do with opening a two way street.If exports were allowed pressure to allow imports would follow.Restriction of trade etc.

I must agree with wokka, Australia is strict with import due to exotic captive breeds being released into the wild but i see no harm in allowing our snakes to be shared across the world. The animals would be in much greater conditions if transported legally, rather than smuggled.
Ofcourse many will say that if we dont get any other snakes, they shouldnt get ours... which is true in a way :lol:
But i dont wanna be the selfish guy and these snakes could be great company to someone overseas.

ARP traded rsp and morph blueys with O/S zoos. Seeing as they are prolific breeders it is surprising that they aren't more abundant in private collections by now.

In the old Reptiles Australia magazine in the article written by john weigal it states that some offspring of the original RSP breeding colony were legally exported to some zoos worldwide. these animals were then bred overseas and some definitely were offered to private breeders in some countries and other specimens probably found their way from o/s zoos to private collectors under the counter (who knows?) theres probably been a lot of smuggling RSP from Australia as well, to contribute to there presence overseas.

Once the oenpelli pythons are legally exported to overseas zoos (if they are) I reckon the same thing will happen in time. once theres a legal source overseas there will be probably many smuggled out of the country illegally and "covered" by whatever source has them legally overseas.. ones not covered will be sold under the counter but if covered as "bonafide" legal animals it gives the keeper the availability to market and advertise them openly to a world market. thats got to be worth big bucks.

Last edited:
If they opened the export gates think what it would do for our own reptile industry? it would be so hard to buy an animal here for ourselfs because the demand would be so high for exports and it would push the price sky high beacuse the demand would allow us to. no longer would a 12 yo be able to afford his first stimmi. i think things are better as they are. if i cannot have myself a panther chameleon i think it fits they cannot have my albino darwin.. :D selfish Toby FTW

there was a article once sating that a breeder in europe had aquire some rsp from the custom organisation of that country.he was allowed to breed these and keep the offspring under the arrangement.

I wonder if we'll start seeing rough-scaled diamon jungle jaguars in a few years time? Whilst I think it's awesome they can be legally aqcuired,so the animals don't have to be smuggled in someones socks or undies or whatever,I really hope they keep them "pure",and realize they have something pretty special,and don't muddy them by mixing them with all the other morelia mutts they have. I love the look of some of the hybrids,but roughies are so unique! It makes me a bit jealous though...they can have our roughies but I'm not allowed a boa...oh the unfairness of it all! Haha. Really interesting topic!

If they opened the export gates think what it would do for our own reptile industry? it would be so hard to buy an animal here for ourselfs because the demand would be so high for exports and it would push the price sky high beacuse the demand would allow us to. no longer would a 12 yo be able to afford his first stimmi. i think things are better as they are. if i cannot have myself a panther chameleon i think it fits they cannot have my albino darwin.. :D selfish Toby FTW
The requirements forexport generally add considerably to the domestic price. my experiece is that export demand for animals has little effect upon domestic pricing. Cattle , sheep, poultry and non australian birds are all allowed to be exported and domestic prices remain relatively unchanged.

Nikki, if you read the replies you will see that they were LEGALLY exported.

Some may have been smuggled, yes. But some have been legally sent.

And your point is? The reply/forum post today at 8.10am is the reason why I put my opinion in.

My concern is for the welfare of the snakes being smuggled out of Australia. Also the probability of an Australian native becoming a pest overseas. Such as the Brown tree snake, an invasive species overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back