Legless Lizard ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is anyone able to identify this legless lizard for me?

LeglessLizard1.jpgLeglessLizard2.jpgLeglessLizard3.jpg

I spotted it in the Lawn Hill region of North-West Queensland. It was around the 50cm mark and had a 'whip snake like' appearance. To me it looks like a Sharp-Snouted Delma (Delma nasuta), but it was much longer than the 11cm SVL that AROD specifies.

Thanks in advance,
Nic

My best guess is Delma nasuta, based on the absence of any dark markings on head or nape and its locality. The olive-brown colouration fits D. nasuta as well.
The snout-vent lengths of Delma sp. are only a small proportion of their total length (the tail length is up to 4 times that of the S-V length).

Last edited:
It is the Sharp-snouted Delma (Delma nasuta). The the tail length is 4 times the body length, giving an average maximum total length of around 55 cm.

Blue

Delma nasuta as everyone has said. I am currently within 100kms of lawn hill and they are common here.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

One last thing ... are delmas prone to 'jumping' (for want of a better word)? This one leapt a good 20cm off the ground several times, probably as a defensive gesture.

Very typical of Delma, it makes it difficult to recognize them if you haven't seen the behavior before. That is a pretty good size for one, but not uncommon.

I should have added this info earlier. sorry.

It is, as you say, a legless lizard as there is clearly an external ear opening. The rounded head and body and the long, pointed snout are diagnostic of the Sharp-snouted Delma (Delma nasuta). It has the typical dull olive/brown colour with each scale having a darker margin forming spotted or reticulated pattern. There is an absence of dark marking on the head with this species.

It can be readily distinguished from Burton’s Legless Lizard, which has a much longer and finer point to the snout, a more robust build and a much more pronounced reduction to the end of the tail.

Blue

Definitely Nic. Usually as soon as your headlights hit them they start doing somersaults!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back