Legless Lizard Info Request

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuburbanMe

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the largest Variety of Legless Lizards we have here in Oz is?

Also, Which ones can we keep? (Especially in Victoria)

Thx in advance!

Largest variety we can keep is the Common Scalefoot.

Yep, common scaly foot- it's an insect eater and not too difficult to keep, if you can get hold of one. There are largely unconfirmed sightings of metre long burtons, but they can be difficult to keep in captivity, and I've never seen one near that size.

Largest variety...what does that even mean when referring to a species? Does it mean the colour varieties exhibited within one species or the overall length to which the largest species can grow? If referring to colour and pattern, then Lialis burtonis, if referring to length, then the south-eastern QLD locality Pygopus lepidopodus.

In captivity, Lialis burtonis and even Pygopus schraderi are more accessible than Pygopus lepidopodus and even then, can be rather difficult to locate.

I once found a common scaley that was about 70cm plus long, a male with a total original tail whilst I was jogging through the national park...... too bad I trod on it's head.

Meal worms and Crickets.... He is a big eater though i put quite a few at time in for him and he smashes them.....

a BURTON'S?
But generally they're strictly lizard eaters...

I had a burtens once yeah they eat other lizards. So what?

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back