Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron_peters

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I was curious about the care of some of our legless lizards, and wether many ppl mere keeping them, particularly in the brisbane, SE QLD area, i find them quite facinating and would like to know more about their husbandry.

Cheers

Hey Ron,
In general, they are fairly easy to care for in regards to husbandry. Tubs, tanks, vivariums or whatever heated with lights, cords or mats will do the trick. Some people use UV, some don't. Most commonly available are Lialis burtonis, notorious reptile eaters so that is draw-back to keeping them. However, if you have a ready supply of small skinks or feral geckos such as Hemidactylus frenatus, this shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Also, from what I've read, parasite infestation from wild prey doesn't seem to cause too much of a problem in captive L.burtonis.

The rest are general insectivores and will happily eat woodies and crickets. If you manage to get your hands on Paradelma orientalis, they seem to enjoy acacia sap also.

There were some caresheets published in some of the issues of Reptiles Australia and Scales & Tails on Scaly-foot species, namely the Hoodeds.

Also, a large Pygopodid care section is present in Mike Swan's 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards'

We printed a great article from Rob Porter in Scales & Tails Australia.
Issue 3 – Page 8 - Lessons from the Legless Lizard - Captive husbandry of the Scaly-foot.
Back copies are still available if you need one.
Cheers
Joy

Can i still get this one please joy?

Yes it's still available..... If you want to pay by credit card, you can either phone me on (07) 3389 8275 and order it over the phone, or email me at: [email protected] if you prefer. Alternatively, if you would like to pay by paypal you can go to our website www.scalesandtails.com.au to do that.
Cheers, Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back