Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God.. they are so beautiful!! May I ask where they were found please? I never see anything "out in the wild" - not even snakes! I think I need lessons in where to look and exactly what to look for. Thank you

these guys are secret sorry!!!

just get out to any national parks, i recommend the you yangs to people alot. find HEAPS of brown snakes, skinks and jacky dragons there

Ok.. so out West then lol. I am in the East (semi rural) and people are always saying they see snakes and frogs and god-knows-what.. but in 30 years of riding horses through all sorts of bush country, I can only remember 2 snakes, years ago, one dead frog (in my horse trough) and the usual tiny grey skinks. Foxes, rabbits, echidnas, possums, hawks, cockys, kangaroos, wallabies - everything else in crazy abundance.. but never really any reptiles.

on a warm day in the you yangs you can easily whip up 5-10 species of reptile, along with a couple of frogs if youre lucky

You wanna know where I found them hey. PM sent. lol jokes. Top secret as richo said. Yes there are herps around melbourne you just have to look, it doesn't nessarily have to be a warm day depending on the herps you want find, heres my flickr acount I dont have as much photos as Richoman but all the herps were found pretty much in melbourne, just to give you an idea of the amount of herps you can find around melbourne Flickr: Akash's herps Melbourne's Photostream . Sorry I cant give you locations

Last edited:
Oh these photos are great!! Thanks so much for showing me. The Banjo Frog is rather wonderful; what a happy little face he has lol. I am planning a trip to Little Desert within the next few months, as I have a house up in that region. I figure til the house sells, I may as well use it as a base for learning about herping studies, whenever I can get the chance to get up there. Last Summer when we were up there, we did find a dear little Gecko in the house, which my boyfriend took outside and released on a gumtree. We got some photos of it, but I have no idea what sort of gecko it was. Kind of grey speckled with an orange stripe along it's tail.

What are you talking about butters I've seen them eat crickets and pinkies before not in the wild but I have seen them do it in captivity. by the way I'm am serious and I'm starting to get sick of other uses dissing my threads and comments on this site don't forget just because I'm 13 doesn't mean I know nothing about reptiles I've keeping them and reading about them for 7 whole years.

Last edited:
I would love to know of anybody who has kept a Burton's alive on crickets. Burton's have a very specialized diet.

I keep a fair few Pygopods, Burton's included, and have bred a number of species so do have some experience.

If you are talking about other Pygopods other than Burton's you are correct but your post seemed to be referring to Burton's. They will not live on crickets. Many in southern states keep them alive on pinkies but it is rarely voluntarily. Nearly always involves some form of force feeding.

The fact that you are 13 has nothing to do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you were thirty I would have posted the same thing.

Good on you for reading about them and keeping them and hopefully with time you will keep learning about them just like we all do. One of the things you will learn is that a lot of the stuff you find on the net is crap or taken out of context.

Where did you see them eating crickets and pinkies if I may ask? If you saw one eating a pinkie on another site recently then it is most likely a picture I posted. If you read the thread you will see that I don't feed them pinkies but thought I would try one as someone had asked me to. Sure it grabbed the pinkie but in the end didn't eat it.

I manage to breed Burton's on a regular basis and the only reason I believe this happens is because I provide them with an almost natural diet. Asian house geckos aren't really a natural food source but they are still a lizards part of a Burton's natural diet.

Not just on crickets but I'm just saying they will sometimes eat live crickets in small amounts and only in captivity. A friend of mine has a one year old male that takes one or two when food is scarce try it on yours. Sorry I can't upload photos of him doing it because he is not my reptile. My rule is only upload photos of my reptiles or reptile I have had in the past.

I could put as many crickets as I wanted in with them and they still wouldn't eat them. I hand feed my Burton's so I have no doubt I could get mine to grab one but I doubt they would eat it. I have however gotten them to eat thin strips of chicken breast about the size and general shape of a garden skink.
Just like with snakes though it would be ill advised to attempt to maintain them on this diet.

Feeding them chicken now that I have not here'd of and I have here'd a lot of story's about burtons. By the way I have not seen one for sale for a long time do you know any thing butters you know where I can get another couple of them cheap in VIC ,NSW or SA?

I have not owned them but I have been shown how to take care of them at expos plus I have handled them many times before and they were very skittish. I have not seen my friend for a few years now.

sorry about my spelling guys

Last edited:
When I get mine I will try the chicken type diet of yours it sounds different but I'm willing to try other people's ideas on reptiles.

When I get mine I will try the chicken type diet of yours it sounds different but I'm willing to try other people's ideas on reptiles.

Just remember. As said, its not a staple diet, its a once in a while diet. They will still need a more natural diet to thrive

Yep I mean its not very fair on the reptile to change the diet that their used to and constantly force fed and stressed out every time they get fed.

I was feeding chicken strips to a gts for variety and the Burton's were there so.......what the hell give it a go.

I don't feed it to them as a general rule.

Not just on crickets but I'm just saying they will sometimes eat live crickets in small amounts and only in captivity. A friend of mine has a one year old male that takes one or two when food is scarce try it on yours. Sorry I can't upload photos of him doing it because he is not my reptile. My rule is only upload photos of my reptiles or reptile I have had in the past.

How old is this rule?8)

Not that old I decided to make this rule after I got into some trouble someone thought I tried to steal their photo and I still sometimes forget my own rules like a day Argo I put a photo up of a gecko on this site and some people weren't to happy about that so now I only put my photos of my reptiles on anything unless I have permission even then I most likely won't put the photo up.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey by the way nice pic it's a little bleary but still who cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back