Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm think that's one of the books I'm getting. Its for sale on gumtree check it out.

is this the book your talking about? This image is not mine and will be deleted in a few days.

Last edited:
Yep that's it. Would be a good source of info for anyone interested in geckos or legless lizards.

Yeah that's the one. Get it from geckodan. He is a sponser of APS and signs all his books. Gumtree can be dodgey. I have gotten plenty of good stuff on there but if I was thirteen, I would stick to eBay.

Agreed with butters. That book, along with various others, can be purchased here: Geckodan - The Bookshop - and as mentioned, will arrive as a signed copy.

Cool I will definitely get that book and others like it such as the monitor version of that book.

Whats the point keeping burtons leggless lizards if you have to force feed them. Surely they would have a much lower quality of life in captivity than in the wild. Im not aiming this comment to you reptilesforme but to all those people that keep burtons. Leave them in the wild, they are not a reptile that should be allowed to keep in captivity. It would be so depressing for me to be force feeding a reptile every single feed, imagine what it would be like for the reptile. Have respect for them and leave them in the wild!

I keep them. I don't force feed them.

Why keep them? Why keep anything?

How is me keeping them any different than you keeping a snake or a bluetongue

Have respect for them and leave them in the wild!

Lmao, if everyone had that attitude, no one (including yourself) would have the privilege of owning any herps...

The View is back on, quick get back to the couch!

How do you feed your burtons? if you don't force feed them well done, but the majority of burtons kept in captivity are force fed.The difference between keeping a bluetongue or snake is that a bluetongue or snake is happy, content and take food naturally, enthusiasticly, vigorously and gracefully unlike a burton being force fed every single feed. There is no respect force feeding or even just assist feeding a reptile that is perfectly capable of eating naturally. For a reptile to have a happy life they need to display natural behaviours and instincts and the most important one is hunting and catching prey.

You can keep them in some states ,apparently, on their natural diet of lizards.

This is one of the best threads i've seen on here that hasn't been deleted.
Reptiles4me you want to get some Australian Reptile books to read they have more info then the ones you are showing, they have no info on keeping Australian reptiles, and you want to listen to some of the people on here they really now what there talking about. :)

Maybe, but if/when I do get my legless lizard (and it won't be a Burtons btw) I sure as hell am not telling this lot LOLOL

Whats the point keeping burtons leggless lizards if you have to force feed them. Surely they would have a much lower quality of life in captivity than in the wild. Im not aiming this comment to you reptilesforme but to all those people that keep burtons. Leave them in the wild, they are not a reptile that should be allowed to keep in captivity. It would be so depressing for me to be force feeding a reptile every single feed, imagine what it would be like for the reptile. Have respect for them and leave them in the wild!

More bs

not all Burton's come from the scrub. I have photos of butters hatchlings the day after they came out of the egg. Lovely critters that do very well in captvity. They also happen to thrive on Hemidactylus... So no harm to wild reptile populations depending on how it's managed.

Even if you did take the odd skink (which is legal in some states) it would cause a lot less harm to an ecosystem than say you when you spend a day rock rolling for impar

get off your high horse

cheers
scott

I live in Queensland so can legally feed them their natural diet.

I hand feed all of mine so they will take dead food items. Means I don't need to feed live. I use tweezers rather than tongs almost like feeding any snake really. Wave it in front of them and they strike.

That and house geckos are everywhere up here and make a perfect food source.

More bs

not all Burton's come from the scrub. I have photos of butters hatchlings the day after they came out of the egg. Lovely critters that do very well in captvity. They also happen to thrive on Hemidactylus... So no harm to wild reptile populations depending on how it's managed.

Even if you did take the odd skink (which is legal in some states) it would cause a lot less harm to an ecosystem than say you when you spend a day rock rolling for impar

get off your high horse

cheers
scott

At least the AHGs are good for something.... now what do we do bout those toads?

Aside from their food preference Burton's would have to be one of the least demanding reptiles I own.

get off your high horse

cheers
scott
I now know it does seem fine keeping them in captivity in some other states. But living in Victoria we as Herp keepers dont have the same rules as Queensland and so on, although we are allowed to keep burtons we cant feed them their natural diet. And the few, I think irresbonsible people that do keep these beautifull animals must resort to force feeding them. And I do take back some of my previous comments as did not know other states rules instead I was basing my argument on Victoria's rules as the OP that started this thread wanted to know how to get hold of legless lizards in Victoria. I hope you understand.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction for information about keeping (and where to buy) legless lizards in Victoria? Thank you.

Last edited:
So I since your taking the ethical high ground I take it no more herping for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back