Length or hight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake007

Reaction score
Makes 2 cages just wondering what would be better length or hight ??? 1800 high or 1800 long ???? 600 1000

Going by what my local reptile park says, 2 metres for a South Western Carpet.
No idea about the Carpets over that way but I'd assume be an arboreal species the more climbing space when they're older the better

Well two cages I am making so two coastals ...

???

How big are the animals?

Both my coastals were in very large outdoor enclosures. One was 2m x 1m x 2m and the other was 1.7m x 1.2m x 1.7m... Both cages seemed pretty small when they were fully stretched out - but during the day they hid in small baskets...

the enclosure should be atleast big enough for the snake to stretch out half and a bit of its body. thats how i play it

Carpets are Aboreal, therefor more than most of the time they will be up as high as possible. It's uncommon for them to ground dwell if they have the choice of height , mine does not stay on the ground unless he goes into a hide to digest a feed, other than that he is up top.

I think it's more about how you utilise it and how and where it prefers to swing.

Carpets are Aboreal, therefor more than most of the time they will be up as high as possible. It's uncommon for them to ground dwell if they have the choice of height , mine does not stay on the ground unless he goes into a hide to digest a feed, other than that he is up top.

Thank you just a normal answer :)

Well, you obviously have the room so go 1800 high and 1800 wide. Easy.

As pointed out, cages for arboreal snakes should be given more emphasis on height than width. This provides them with the opportunity to climb, as they would in nature and they feel secure on an elevated perch up near the ceiling. That way you will get see them more often as well. If you were to use the dimensions given, you build it: 1800 high x 1000 wide x 600 deep. There are a few different formulae around for calculating cage size for snakes. Probably the commonest is that the width (in this case the height) should be at least ¾ as long as the snake and the depth should at least ½ as long and a minimum of 300 mm height.

I prefer a simpler rule – the length of the two longest dimensions should be roughly equal to or greater than the total length of the snake. So the dimensions above are adequate for an arboreal snake up to a maximum of 3m. Cage dimensions bigger than this are better, if you have the room, but are they are not essential. For example, 3 m pythons can be kept in considerably smaller enclosures - but I believe there is a difference between surviving and living. The other half of the rule than I mentioned above is the relative size of each dimension. The approximate ratio for arboreal snakes is height : width : depth = 4 : 2 : 1. For terrestrial snakes, this approximate ratio becomes width : depth : height = 4 : 2 : 1. Anyway, that's my personal preference.

Obviously if you have a snake that has not yet reached maximum length but is well on the way to, it is prudent to construct an enclosure suitable for housing it when it is at its maximum length. Using the above suggested rule, if it maxes out a little above or below expected, it won't matter.

I hope that is of some help.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back