Lets chat poop.

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by KierenTavener12, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KierenTavener12

KierenTavener12 Not so new Member

Average time for a snake to have a bowel movement? Mine has one 2-3 days after each feed.

Curious if this is normal.

Apologies for prior post, I was on break at work and was clearly tired by the looks of that post.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. pythoninfinite

pythoninfinite Subscriber Subscriber

Not a lot of what you have written makes sense, but a broad answer to your question is that it is hugely variable. The passage of food through the digestive tract of a snake is dependent on the size and type of food, temperatures, and the activity level of the snake. It can range from a couple of weeks to at least several weeks, and neither extremes are cause for concern in most cases.

If you want reasonable responses to your questions, it's a good idea to write them clearly so that we can answer them clearly. I don't know what "Wednesday morning arvo" means, but if you fed Sunday, what you saw on Wednesday would be the remains of a meal eaten well before Sunday, probably at least two or three weeks previously. They are not like mammals.

Jamie

3. meako

meako Not so new Member

While we're on this subject -
    is it unusual for a python to pass the white urate excrement a day or two before the more solid pellet formed with hair and such ?
    Both my snakes -spotted and bredli have done this recently -they are on different sized food rats due to their difference in size (duh) I also try to get them both out on the grass 4-5 days after eating. This has never resulted in a poo until a week or so ago when the Bredli curled his tail up and did one but it was quite loose compared to usual.
    I don't think its a problem and he certainly hasn't lost his appetite-come to think of it that was just before he shed.hmmmm.

4. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

No, not unusual at all.

5. snakemisstress

snakemisstress Not so new Member

I usually tickle my snakes belly 3 days after a feed to stimulate a bowel movement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.