Lets discuss "Wipe Off 5" campaigns :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please explain to me then why the autobahn in Germany is one of the worlds safest freeways? I'll give you a hint...correct driver training, courtesy, and cars that have the technology and safety features to do the speeds.
I drive on the same roads as you and everyone else here as well as driving on racetracks. Feel free to get off the road if you chose but I would rather drive at 120km/hr and reduce fatigue related deaths, as research has also proven, than sit next to someone doing 110.

Thank you for proving my point - German drivers have much more intensive and skilled training than we do here. If we were allowed to drive on open roads with no speed limits in this country there's no way in hell I'd ever set foot in a car. No sane person would.
Germany's population density is over 100x more than Australia's yet they have a lower road toll than us, 5.7 per 10,000 vs 6.8 per 10,000.
These facts alone should wake you up to the sense that road safety in this country isn't anywhere near acceptable and to advocate for higher speeds on our roads downright idiotic.
You simply cannot trust other people to do the right thing all the time, when the consequences of getting it wrong is death.

Your logic of going 120 being safer than 110 is too painful to try and argue, but by your logic it's also safer than 100 right? and must be far safer than 40?
Everyone go as fast as you can, it'll make the roads safer!
Moron.

Last edited:
is like saying that no one should be allowed to keep vens because other people can't handle them but might come into your snake room.

Can I ask how many people advocating slower speed limits have ever driven for an extended period overseas?

A nonsense argument, my snake room is a private (and locked) premises. More akin to a private race track if you want to push that analogy, not a public space.
And in answer to your question, I have driven in many foreign countries, including on German autobahns. What do you define as 'extended period'?

Can I ask how many people advocating slower speed limits have ever driven for an extended period overseas?

What relevance does this have? Different drivers, different cars and different laws to this country make the experience entirely uncomparable.
I'd feel entirley comfortable driving a scooter on Australian raods for example, but sure as hell wouldn't in a major Asian city, such as K.L. - where I have and all I can say is I was mostly terrified the whole time because of other riders, not my own abilities.

You have to resort to name calling to make your point lol or were you just signing your name??
As I said, if you care to reread, is that 120 has been proven to be safer due to reducing fatigue related crashes on freeways/motorways etc. This is shown worldwide by the fact that 80% of western countries have set their speed limits to this or more. Studies have been done and it is a proven fact. Not my logic.
If you are doing 100 or 80 or 40 on a freeway then you would be the one in the wrong and the police would issue you a fine just as quick as a person breaking the speed limit.

What relevance does this have? Different drivers, different cars and different laws to this country make the experience entirely uncomparable.

How is it incomparable? We have the same cars and the same standard of highway. The relevance is that if you have driven anywhere overseas you would know that most motorways are speed limited at a minimum of 120km/hr

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to resort to name calling to make your point lol or were you just signing your name??
As I said, if you care to reread, is that 120 has been proven to be safer due to reducing fatigue related crashes on freeways/motorways etc. This is shown worldwide by the fact that 80% of western countries have set their speed limits to this or more. Studies have been done and it is a proven fact. Not my logic.
If you are doing 100 or 80 or 40 on a freeway then you would be the one in the wrong and the police would issue you a fine just as quick as a person breaking the speed limit.

This isn't a discussion about fatigue related issues is it? It's about speed.
And of course going faster will reduce fatigue related incidents as you get to your destination faster, before fatigue sets in - it also increases your chance of a speed related incident and not getting to your destination at all. Fact.

A nonsense argument, my snake room is a private (and locked) premises. More akin to a private race track if you want to push that analogy, not a public space.
And in answer to your question, I have driven in many foreign countries, including on German autobahns. What do you define as 'extended period'?

I got a bit carried away with the snake room analogy lol Just trying to understand the reasoning behind someone saying we shouldn't go any faster than 40 because that's all the human body was made for lol.

By extended period I just meant a period of time long enough to observe how traffic works and flows in the situation. Not like 2 days on a holiday.

The Wipe Off 5 campaign isn't aimed at our freeway drivers, its aimed at residential driving where speed limits rarely top 60km/h - where over 70% of our road fatalities occur.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a bit carried away with the snake room analogy lol Just trying to understand the reasoning behind someone saying we shouldn't go any faster than 40 because that's all the human body was made for lol.

I never said we shouldn't, I said to argue it's perfectly safe and natural to is farcical.
Of the 282 deaths on our roads in 2012 guess how many of them were at speeds of 40kmh or under... 6.
Over 80kmh... 129.

Argue those facts into your driving faster is safer argument.

Last edited:
You need to work on your people skills badsville, you often come off as an arrogant jerk.
Yeah just what we need on the roads, more people sitting below the speed limit and often in the right hand lane. If you don't feel compfortable at a higher rate of speed get off the roads because YOUR putting people at risk and use public transport.

If you're doing 60 in a residential area then you need to slow down by 15 lol Residential areas are actually limited to 50 now bud.;)
A few years back they dropped all residential to 50 from 60 because the government said that was enough to allow for emergency braking. Now they want us to drive another 5km under that. Why? They set a safe speed and then say to go 10% under it? Where's the logic to that?

You need to work on your people skills badsville, you often come off as an arrogant jerk.
Yeah just what we need on the roads, more people sitting below the speed limit and often in the right hand lane. If you don't feel compfortable at a higher rate of speed get off the roads because YOUR putting people at risk and use public transport.

People skills aren't my strong point and I know that, doesn't make me wrong. A jerk yes, but no idiot.
I'm personally perfectly happy to drive at posted speed limits and have no issue with them. But I believe that after all the years cars have been on roads most posted speed limits are there for a reason and not just arbitrarily thrown around. And I beleive there's generally no need whatsoever to change them - especially raising them.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're doing 60 in a residential area then you need to slow down by 15 lol Residential areas are actually limited to 50 now bud.;)
A few years back they dropped all residential to 50 from 60 because the government said that was enough to allow for emergency braking. Now they want us to drive another 5km under that. Why? They set a safe speed and then say to go 10% under it? Where's the logic to that?

The Wipe Off 5 campaign isn't aimed at our freeway drivers, its aimed at residential driving where speed limits rarely top 60km/h - where over 70% of our road fatalities occur.

Please read what I post correctly before attacking it.

It was a joke mate hence the lol. I know it sometimes doesn't work like that in cyberspace.
I still don't understand the governments logic in the last point I made?

Yawn...you're still toting out what the "road safety" campaigns are selling you Badsville. You could baaaa a little bit to give me a sense of where you're finding the logic in it? "Wipe off 5" is a social media stunt to shame "speedsters". It's there purely for people like yourself to "spread the message" because you've gobbled up their staged & measured "scientific" examples. Dig deeper, look at it properly. You are wrong ;)

It was a joke mate hence the lol. I know it sometimes doesn't work like that in cyberspace.
I still don't understand the governments logic in the last point I made?

Inference is a hard thing to convey in written words, believe me I know.
I guess perhaps they're advocation being cautionary rather than reactionary. I.e. "This is how fast we think its safe to go here; but just to keep it nice and safe check yourself a few k's lower to be sure."

- - - Updated - - -

Yawn...you're still toting out what the "road safety" campaigns are selling you Badsville. You could baaaa a little bit to give me a sense of where you're finding the logic in it? "Wipe off 5" is a social media stunt to shame "speedsters". It's there purely for people like yourself to "spread the message" because you've gobbled up their staged & measured "scientific" examples. Dig deeper, look at it properly. You are wrong ;)

No, I'm toting out my own free thinking through personal experience on the roads.
And the knowledge that the people who make the decisions of what goes on on our roads are from backgrounds and departments where it's their JOB to know what happens on our roads over the course of years, and with things like statistics and data.
Not from the mouth of someone who gets upset that there are large fines for driving a few k's over what you're told to.
Is it REALLY THAT HARD to accept the rules that people in a position of RESPECTED authority have given you?

If I'm a sheep for making the choice to obey this countries road rules and make a conscious effort to keep myself alive on our roads and away from the hazzards of other reckless drivers; then I'll happily baaaa away while I drive around with my wife and 4 month old daughter beside me.

Last edited:
:lol: "Respected authority" .....*looking for the shepherd now*...sorry mate, I question plenty of things people in positions of power try to shove down my throat. Sure, there needs to be rules, but as human beings who can make genuine mistakes there also needs to be a grey area, and discretion.

But by all means baaaa away ;)

:lol: "Respected authority" .....*looking for the shepherd now*...sorry mate, I question plenty of things people in positions of power try to shove down my throat. Sure, there needs to be rules, but as human beings who can make genuine mistakes there also needs to be a grey area, and discretion.

But by all means baaaa away ;)

Human beings making genuine mistakes on our road cost lives. We're all grey when we're laying on an autopsy table.

I think a better thing for them to focus on would be 'driving to the conditions'. This is actually written into the law and no matter what the speed limit all drivers should take into account all factors such as weather, road condition, the car they are driving and definitely their ability.
My biggest problem is that even though our kids are now required to do a large amount of hours to get their license there is no requirement to be taught by a professional. You can basically get your license being taught by a 20 year old just off their P's and god knows who taught them to drive.

Australian road laws do plenty to frustrate, even bore road users. Long journeys at 100kph not only extends driving times, but it dulls a drivers alertness. Road hypnosis is a genuine issue. But don't dare exceed that limit by 5kph, that'll cost you a pretty penny ;)

We can all go grey in our paddocks, nibbling the propaganda & occasionally footing the bill for our little indiscretions....sorry I mean potentially fatal indiscretions :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back