Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

hope you're all doing well!

Just a quickie, i'm getting a snake real soon, first timer, open to suggestions on breeds, but at the moment really tossing up between a carpet (coastal), or a diamond.

I am aware of the size they grow to, i'm aware of the temperaments (even though it seems to depend on who you talk to), i'm aware of the feeding and all that, but i just wanna know, from you guys:

KNOWING WHAT YOU KNOW NOW ABOUT PYTHONS, WITH YOUR TRIUMPHS AND FOLLIES, IF YOU WERE ME - WHAT WOULD YOU GET??

Thanks guys!!

If I were you, I'd get a Water Python or a Woma, I wouldn't take a Diamond Carpet if I was paid to and I wouldn't be too interested in any other type of Carpet, but I'd probably have a lot of other things to worry about first, such as coming to terms with my sudden change in appearance, age, place of residence, circle of people who recognise me etc etc.

Fortunately, I'm not you, you are, and you get to choose what you like.

Childrens/Macs/Stimies are good for a first snake, not too big or fiesty (usually) or Bredli's are a nice looking option from the carpet family. Not that theres anything wrong with the coastals or diamonds either, just that I started off with a few childrens then diamonds and beardies, but my favourite now is my new bredli. They're all beautiful animals, each to their own!

I agree with renni, the children's family are easy to care for, easy to house, easy to feed etc etc.

Olive.

After handling my first olive a few minutes ago, for the first time, HANDS DOWN, olive.

The only other pythons I've kept were burmese pythons, and these by far have more personality!!!

The most incredible feeling snakes, too! Almost like an eel!

//Todd

Diamond Hands Down....and not because I am selling one. I have had mine for over a year and a half and he is the most placid snake. Beautiful temperament. JMO :)

hmmm, interesting,

I'd love an olive, a BHP or a Bredli but unfortunately the ACT licencing restrictions are unfriendly to my cause!!! according to the list on the net, i've gotta get a Boidae Childrens Python, Diamond Python, Carpet Python, Spotted Python or Stimson's Python and as i like the bigger snakes, i'd say my options mainly consist of the carpet or diamond..... however if anyone knows a way around this or knows of a snake on the class B licence list that they've left off but that they allow, i'm all ears!!!!

thankyou for all your advice thus far too!!!!

~ M ~

these are all on the category C list which you can't obtain straight up from what i understand:

Boidae Black-headed Python Aspidites melanocephalus
Bredl's Python Morelia bredli
Woma Aspidites ramsayi
Water Python Liasis fuscus
Olive Python Liasis olivaceus
Colubridae Keelback Styporhynchus mairii
Common Tree Snake Dendrelaphis punctulatus
Slaty-grey Snake Stegonotus cucullatus

I agree with Rennie too, but, if you dont want to start with a 'beginners' snake then i guess Coastals are great. They look beautiful and if raised in the right hands, are just a great pet. With the regular handling you and your python will become best friends and you will never regret even for a second that you chose that snake. Diamonds are nice too but they take a bit more to care for such as they are use to lower temps than some other snakes, are prone to, although this is not too common, an ailment called Diamond Python Syndrome which usually ends in death and we dont want your first experiance with a snake end like that. Although there are many ways to try and avoid such a thing happening all i know is for starters try your hand at carpets and when you are comfortable with them, then go for a diamond.

Best of luck! :D

Sdaji said:
If I were you, I'd get a Water Python or a Woma, I wouldn't take a Diamond Carpet if I was paid to and I wouldn't be too interested in any other type of Carpet, but I'd probably have a lot of other things to worry about first, such as coming to terms with my sudden change in appearance, age, place of residence, circle of people who recognise me etc etc.

Fortunately, I'm not you, you are, and you get to choose what you like.

thus nature balances itself out.

Get a Darwin Nice colours and a great pet ! :)
Canberra exotics had a nice one when we went to the reptile expo "2004" in sydney .
Darwin
2005_0331Image0001.jpg

Coastal Carpet
CIMG0005.jpg

Ok well if he gets to put up photos i will too :D

Here are coastal carpets, first one is 1 year old and the other two are 2 years (and a couple days :) )

One baby carpet (coastal)...
Chuma1.jpg

Another coastal...
lola1.jpg

And another...
monty1.jpg

It goes to show that every snake has its own pattern and if you look hard enough you will definately find one that you will absolutely adore! But coastals are definately well worth looking into. :D[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back