Lets talk business..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Lately i have found myself looking more and more into breeding pythons and was wondering is this an expensive hobby to get into or is there money made from it ?
In particular i would love to start breeding some co-dom morelia,

Im not asking for figures or anything just want to know if you make enough to sustain and potentially grow and expand as a "Buisness" (I use that word very loosely) or if you're waiting on your next pay check from your day job to spoil yourself with a new snake?

Any input is appreciated and please do keep it on topic

cheers in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO it's more of a hobby that you may see some of your money return but when you work out electricity, feed, vet bills etc I don't believe the income would be steady enough to call it a business unless you already have a name and good reputation.
Just for example Look at the prices of Albino Darwin 4 or 5 years ago and see prices now! Unless you have something extra stunning than the buyers will alway shop on prices as it will be mostly a pet.

do you have a 'buisness' plan ? that's the first step.

Thanks for the input :)

Im in no way looking at it as a potential source of income but more so paying for itself so that i may invest in new projects etc. I would love to invest in quality over quantity aswell if that changes anything

- - - Updated - - -

do you have a 'buisness' plan ? that's the first step.

Depending if im required to sink thousands of dollars into it, i think i could have something up and going by next season. I already regret using the word "buisness" as it in no way will be that. More so me branching out of the keeping hobby into the breeding side, just wondering if it self sufficiant financially?

Lately i have found myself looking more and more into breeding pythons and was wondering is this an expensive hobby to get into or is there money made from it ?
In particular i would love to start breeding some co-dom morelia,

Im not asking for figures or anything just want to know if you make enough to sustain and potentially grow and expand as a "Buisness" (I use that word very loosely) or if you're waiting on your next pay check from your day job to spoil yourself with a new snake?

Any input is appreciated and please do keep it on topic

cheers in advance,
A first post that will get the sceptics attention, including my own....:p
My sincere apologies.......

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you are actually asking if it is possible to breed pythons and not go broke doing it? If you invest a few thousand in it, will you ever recover your money.... break even.... or perhaps maybe even make a little money (to buy more snakes of course)

A good question....I have often wondered myself....... I will be keeping an eye on this thread

Yes snake breeding is very profitable. If you breed your own mice, use heats chords and do not count your time as wasting money then extremely profitable.

It sounds to me like you are actually asking if it is possible to breed pythons and not go broke doing it? If you invest a few thousand in it, will you ever recover your money.... break even.... or perhaps maybe even make a little money (to buy more snakes of course)

A good question....I have often wondered myself....... I will be keeping an eye on this thread

Nail on the head there ;)

Im going to be doing it next yr for the experience only......going to have a few bredli bubs (if she goes ) then she will be retired imediately and remain my Pet....but im going to continue to breed my Stimis and c how they go...not money...love ....just as i did breeding Owls in the Uk many a yr back ..lol

Im going to be doing it next yr for the experience only......going to have a few bredli bubs (if she goes ) then she will be retired imediately and remain my Pet....but im going to continue to breed my Stimis and c how they go...not money...love ....just as i did breeding Owls in the Uk many a yr back ..lol

Similar to what ill be looking to get into, not mass producing anything just breeding maybe 6 - 10 snakes that i would still consider my pets. I would just hate to do it and lose alot of money but if it pays for itself thats a bonus and +1 to get into breeding.

I'm close friends with a few people who do this for a living - it's a tough way to make cash. Obviously there are significant overheads in the form of enclosures, electricity and rodents, but it's also highly risky. A dodgy thermostat can kill an entire seasons eggs, having to move house can disrupt breeding cycles, a heat wave can kill breeding stock etc. The other thing is you always have to be constantly at the front of your game and have a big chunk of capital to be able to take advantage of any new projects that arise. The majority of people who make money breeding pythons started out with money and were able to take advantage of things like albino Darwins, albino Olives, Green Pythons and Jags, back when they were selling for $8-10,000 a piece or more as babies.

There's maybe 10 people in Australia these days making a living solely from breeding pythons and none of them are driving BMW's.

But in summary you do make money from it, Im just wanting to know if it can fund itself while im enjoying doing it on a very small scale

There will always be variables to be considered like what will you breed,feeding overhead fees like electricity etc. an supply an demand. Ps great topic of discussion as I've been considering doing the same thing! I want to breed top quality jungle rpms an sell them for cheap only to cover costs an not make profit my reasons are to let/help other people appriciate the beauty of these snakes at a low cost.

Yes snake breeding is very profitable. If you breed your own mice, use heats chords and do not count your time as wasting money then extremely profitable.

Actually not true, unless you have the cash for high-end morphs in their first year or two and you are successful in breeding them, after that, forget high profits, because the initial breeders know how to release them to prevent others from making the profits they can make in the first few years. But extremely profitable... no.

You should certainly be able to cover costs and make a bit extra to support further projects, and the best way to do this is to stick with the easily sold, popular species such as Antaresia - there's always a market for them, and should provide a steady and fairly predictable return - they also have maintained a stable price when other species have crashed in the past 4 years (GTPs which I paid $7-8K for 5 years ago I'd be lucky to sell for $1500 now :)).

It'll be a long-term work-up for you, but worthwhile if you don't expect big profits. If you do fluke an unusual breeding or morph, you'll be riding a wave that few do, so as long as you don't expect this to happen, it will be a bonus if it does.

As your profile as a breeder grows, if you do the right thing by your customers, you'll have increasing numbers of people seeking animals from you.

Reputation as a reliable and honest supplier is EVERYTHING in this game.

Jamie

I have no experience, but I think that it will possibly cover it's own costs, at worse leave you no more out of pocket than a lot of other hobbies. On the plus side, at least it is a hobby you can make some money from, if for example your hobby was collecting sea shells, you wouldn't be able to make jack. (also, I think it's actually illegal these days to collect sea shells, but that's not the point.)

Actually not true, unless you have the cash for high-end morphs in their first year or two and you are successful in breeding them, after that, forget high profits, because the initial breeders know how to release them to prevent others from making the profits they can make in the first few years. But extremely profitable... no.

You should certainly be able to cover costs and make a bit extra to support further projects, and the best way to do this is to stick with the easily sold, popular species such as Antaresia - there's always a market for them, and should provide a steady and fairly predictable return - they also have maintained a stable price when other species have crashed in the past 4 years (GTPs which I paid $7-8K for 5 years ago I'd be lucky to sell for $1500 now :)).

It'll be a long-term work-up for you, but worthwhile if you don't expect big profits. If you do fluke an unusual breeding or morph, you'll be riding a wave that few do, so as long as you don't expect this to happen, it will be a bonus if it does.

As your profile as a breeder grows, if you do the right thing by your customers, you'll have increasing numbers of people seeking animals from you.

Jamie

As always always great to hear from you jamie, i do understand that this is'nt something to dive into and want to give myself as much a chance as possible.
Thanks everyone for your input,

Jamie

If you say it is not extremely profitable then you are going about it wrong... No offence just saying and don't come up with food costs, electricity bills and substrates or what not because lets face it many of the top breeders breed their own rodents, use heats chords / mats and paper substrate and the cost all up for that is equal to just one clutch from one pair of many breeders. The only expense is initial cost such as tubs, racks and the animals themselves.

There will always be variables to be considered like what will you breed,feeding overhead fees like electricity etc. an supply an demand. Ps great topic of discussion as I've been considering doing the same thing! I want to breed top quality jungle rpms an sell them for cheap only to cover costs an not make profit my reasons are to let/help other people appriciate the beauty of these snakes at a low cost.

DO IT :shock: They look so cool, Is yours high yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back