Leucistic Blue-tongue Skinks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh?

If the cells didn't split properly and separate, you get siamese twins, or conjoined twins. They don't resorb into each other and become one animal.

:p

Hix

Another name for this is a "chimera". Where 2 separate embyo's get pushed into eachother early in development and the resulting offspring has 2 lots of genetic material in certain parts of its body. Thats how paradox albino's form, Piebald is different to paradox albinism

The question still remains unanswered...Are there true leuceys anywhere????

(and the "i know someone who has them" doesn't wash unless there's phographic evidence to prove it. Hell, if i had them i wouldn't be scared to show pic's:lol:)

Ben

(and the "i know someone who has them" doesn't wash unless there's phographic evidence to prove it. Hell, if i had them i wouldn't be scared to show pic's:lol:)

Ben

You obviously haven't had a gun shoved in your face and then been tied up while your reptiles were stolen.

Hornet said:
Where 2 separate embyo's get pushed into eachother early in development and the resulting offspring has 2 lots of genetic material in certain parts of its body.
That would explain a Lovebird I saw the other day.

:p

Hix

You obviously haven't had a gun shoved in your face and then been tied up while your reptiles were stolen.

Cummon hixy, we have all seen on tv how to disarm our foes while tied to a chair, looks easy enough:D:D

Hix

True...:D

but i could always let someone i trusted put pics up, especially if i planned on selling them at some stage

Here you go. ps They are not mine but I have permission to post.

Attachments

• head.JPG
    head.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 311
That's a Leucistic? :|

Doesn't look all that flash, no offence to it's owners or anything but yeah... meh...

That skink is certainly not leucistic, what is it supposed to be Bapi?

Is that a common or a Northern Bapi..?

A few ive seen in person recently are
much the same but with a more lavender
colour in some of their markings, northerns..
Have to be seen in person to be appreciated,

Traits which affect all chromatophores:

Leucism

Leucistic reptiles are completely lacking in all pigmentation and usually appear completely white. Older individuals often develop dark smudgy coloration, possibly through the same process which adds dark pigmentation to tyrosinase positive albinos. (To learn more about T+ albinos, visit our 'Chromatophores' page' and see the section on melanophores)

Oddly, all known leucistic reptiles possess normally pigmented eyes. These dark eyes provide a startling contrast. It has been proven in the Texas Ratsnake (Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri) that these dark eyes can be 'removed' by out-crossing the leucistic mutation to an amelanistic.

I really suggest some of you visit this website and do the tutorials! Sorry some of what i am reading in this thread is so far off the mark it's well laughable!
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCMutations.htm

Regardless of whether it is leucistic or not I think it is a stunning animal.

Yeah ok. I'm not sure if leucistic is the right term. It does not have a complete abscess of chromatophores like the leucistic snakes do. They are not a bright white - more sort of see through (you should see them when they are gravid!!!!) scales. They all have normal eye colouration and their tounges are pale blue but the rest of them is quite pale. Although they do have a wide variety of yellow/red pigments left they don't seem to have a significant amount of melanin left. Some are a clear pale pink all over others like this one have faint patterns - some are pinkish, some lavender, some apricot etc. The brownish tone in this individual is from the lighting. (is the only photo I have). I would probably call them hypomelanistic but this term has been widely used/abused and is often used to refer to selective breeding or normal variations - this is an autosomal recessive mutation. Oh they are Northern Blueys.

whoops meant absence not abscess. - must be working too hard.

yes thats hypermelanistic,not lucistic,excuse the spelling,late night and sifting through this thread,lol,a nice looking bluey none the less,do they get paler with age?????and are they northerns

Er it's hypomelanistic not hypermelanistic - subtle but important difference :)
yes they are northerns (locality specific )
and they do tend to get paler with age ( a bit like albino carpets)

leucistic blueys

Now that's what I'm looking for! Thanks Womanator.

Making more sense to me now.

So, are there TRUE leucys out there?

unfortunate, because that has misled you in the opposite direction. you'll find that most leucistic reptiles, especially those with less patterns in the original form, appear as if 'carved from soap'. the pinkish appearance is often associated with true albinism and will definitely have pink eyes. i understand that there were at least two of their seven animals,of what they collectively called albinos, at featherdale wildlife park, but as i understand it, only one old, poor coloured animal (not leucistic) turned up for work the day after it last changed hands, so i presume there are at least those specimens in private hands now.
the american alligator and nile monitor pics are classic leucs.

Attachments

• white01.JPG
    white01.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 576
  • mag.JPG
    mag.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 106
  • alligator.JPG
    alligator.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 112
I have heard that there was true leucistic Blue tongues near Darwin, I hope that photo isn't representative of them as it clearly isn't leucistic.
Leucistics have no coloured pigment whatsoever, no pattern and no colour and black or blue eyes.

I'm feeling doubtful that there are true leucys about, the ones above don't come close to what I had pictured them to be judging from photos of other leucistic reptiles.
Fingers crossed though.
If you're worried about people coming to steal your leucys because your address is really obvious on APS get a moderator to post a pic and state it is on behalf of another member.
Cheers,
JungleRob

hopefully there are true lucies around altho as you said, none in this thread are actually leucies, still great looking BTS

lol hypo hyper,u know what i mean,nice northerns then,while we are on the subject of color phases in blueys,i have a western bluey that is trying to be a pink tongue,its tongue was blue originally,but its getting pinker and pinker,just the very tip is blue now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back