levis levis help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garthcapper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have a female heavily gravid will she lay in a lay box if provided or do they only burrow there eggs?

She will most likely dig a tunnel in the lay box, lay then cover them. Most geckos will lay in the lay box provided but not always.

My levis always diga burrows to lay. I provided a moist lay box once and she chose the burrow.

also as I just purchased this pair and got them set up she seems to spend all the time by the heat rock in the hide cave the male has started digging and spends his time in the burrow, as the female is gravid and still settling in I was worried about her not burrowing and hanging onto the eggs or will she dig a burrow when's she ready and lay them she seems quite content right next to the heat rock so far

She is making sure the eggs sit at the 28 celcius temperature by hanging around the hot end. When she is ready to lay, she should dig a burrow in moist sand on the 'cool' side and lay in there. Do you have any pics? I might be able give you a better idea how far gravid she is...

If possible, remove the male from her enclosure.

Last edited:
Reptiles like to bask when gravid.
As long as you provide some damp sand in the way of a nest box or thick damp sand up the cool end i wouldn't worry about her holding the eggs. She will know when the time is right. They always have a pre lay shed from about 2-7 days before laying. Not always seen with the smooth knob tails as they eat their skin but you should notice her going white if you look at her everyday.
I personally don't see it as necessary to remove the male. He won't get in the way. He might try and mate with her in the couple of days after she lays but i also don't see this as an issue.

I went to take a photo this morning to put up and she has already burrowed herself somewhere yaay

do I now wait until the female is surfaced to begin looking for eggs what's everyone's process of making sure the eggs get into the incubator as soon as possible

I provide a clear lay box for that reason. I can see the whole process and dig them up as soon as she lays. If your sand is moist they won't dessicate.

This is what they look like. I use a rack system for all my Nephrurus so i just put this up the cool end.

542293_10151025823162218_1869927507_n[1].jpg

Interesting you still use moist sand in your lay box.

The system I use for checking if she's layed is lift tub up, look through transparent bottom and I will either see 2 white eggs, or I will not. I do this every morning when she is due to lay.

is having the hole on the side any better or worse than having it on the top?

Most of my geckos can't climb on top so that why i provide a hole in the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back