Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i must say now i think about it a bit more thats one of the silliest things ive heard wet fog all that will do is potentially cause fungus to grow in the enclosure or cause scale rot due to to much humidity. a tropical snake i.e. a jungle even in a 6x 6 x6 enclosure only requires the humidity provided by a large water dish and the ambient temperature in the enclosure. wet fog indeed. frogs yes snakes no.

hahaha, lol, if wet fog will bring her back to life i will try it!!! LOL. sorry but if u read the thread u would see that it had nothing to do with me but wat the pet shop sprayed on the snake!! that came from the vets mouth also!!

Breeder

Jess I can put you onto a really good breeder in Melbourne if you want.

He is very well know to the people who have been around this site for while and is very well known around the Melbourne VHS scene.

He's a top bloke and no BS attached.

Regards,

Shane

hi, haven't gotten anything as yet I'm waiting for the arrival of some new snakes that they are getting in, they have some juvie black headed pythons and bredli's in so im gunna see how i go getting a black headed?? probably no hope in hell but still worth a try!!

You have had 2 snakes from there already, and 2 lots of problems, one resulting in the death of the animal and you are STILL concidering going back for another?If you accept another animal from that shop instead of a full refund im sorry but you are a fool.With all that has happened and all the advice you have been given you should have learnt not to buy from petshops,only from respected breeders.

well, its was either that or nothing... when i have decided wat snake i want i will be taking someone who knows heaps about snakes with me so that they can go ova it and tell me if it all looks ok! they were not willing to give refund but to give me another snake and a bearded dragon in return! so i took that! its better than nothing!!if anything goes wrong this time round thats wen i will take further action!!!

You have had 2 snakes from there already, and 2 lots of problems, one resulting in the death of the animal and you are STILL concidering going back for another?If you accept another animal from that shop instead of a full refund im sorry but you are a fool.With all that has happened and all the advice you have been given you should have learnt not to buy from petshops,only from respected breeders.

She can't get a refund only other animals. But if she manages to get them while still fresh from the breeder before the petshop gets chance to screw them up then she might be ok :p.

well, its was either that or nothing... when i have decided wat snake i want i will be taking someone who knows heaps about snakes with me so that they can go ova it and tell me if it all looks ok! they were not willing to give refund but to give me another snake and a bearded dragon in return! so i took that! its better than nothing!!if anything goes wrong this time round thats wen i will take further action!!!

good luck with what you decide to get , to be on the safe side I'd ask if they with pay for a vet check on the one you decide on, so that both parties are happy.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but under the legislation for businesses and enterprises is it not a legal obligation to replace or refund a defective product?

If the snake dies of no fault of the purchaser then the onus lies with the seller.

If I buy a 42" plasma and it's broken when it comes out of the box the seller will have to refund or atleast replace the product.

Also, I believe that DSE has a little clause of 7 DAYS, if the licensed animal does not meet certain criteria than the seller has an obligation to fullfil their requirements.

I had an issue with a store in the Eastern Suburbs that sold me a defective animal and refused to offer me a refund, I spoke to DSE and had an officer accompany me to the store and to act as a mediator of the wildlife act. The outcome was a full refund for me and a few fines for the store inrelation to my issue and other offences the officer noted.

Call DSE and ask the question.

The petshop want you to take their offer cause it's cheaper for them, BHP's are selling around the traps for $600 and $200 for Bredli's, Coastals are around the $150 mark and beardies well anywhere from $40 to $400 but generally $100 you get what you pay for from breeders.

Petshops often sell what breeders don't want to sell, animals breeders don't want their names too...

The petshop has a legal obligation to refund your money.While offering more animals in exchange is a nice thought, i would definately be pushing as hard as i had to to get my money back no ifs no buts.I would be seeking a letter from the vet and writing down some notes from how the situation unfolded for further reference,and as mentioned make a call to national parks and wildlife and explain the situation and see what they have to say.Personally i would take this as far as i had to to get my money back under no circumstances would i except more animals from them.

Last edited:
hey jess i just somehow stumbled accross this thread when i was doing a search on jungle humidity. its pretty sad what happened and it would've made me really angry to say the least.
how did it all turn out in the end with the petstore and did you end up calling dse?
what bothers me the most is im also from geelong and have been to all the petstores in geelong many times and im 99% sure theres only one that uses that fake grass as a floor and its my one! i go there to buy rats for my jungle regulary but after reading this i might avoid them a bit more.
if you ever need anything or have any questions call victorian reptiles in hoppers crossing. i got my jungle there and they were wonderful. clean tidy shop, knowledgable staff that genuinely care and they sell lots of reptiles so they must be doing something right.

Hi Jess

You should be getting the full cost of the snake, your vets and autopsy bill back
if you are scared take a friend to back you up. I wish I lived closer as I would come with you.
Two things to threaten if they disagree. Fistly sounds like DSE will be on your side and they wont want to risk their reptile licence.

Second. VCAT. All you have to do is make sure you speak to the OWNER and say. I know I am entitled to the cost of the snake, the vets bill and autopsy if you were going to be really pedantic you could also add in telephone and petrol costs. if you do not refund this money immediately I am going to VCAT. if the owner has half a brain he will know that as a retailer if there is a VCAT ruling against him he will get demerit points...too many of those and he will lose the right to trade. Also the stress of going to VCAT wont be worth it to him. Plus if there is a ruling against him it then becomes public knowledge what the shop has done. Something that should make you feel good is that I have not heard of any hearings involving livestock that have gone against the purchaser.

Just be calm do not scream and yell just say this is what I am going to do so I need to speak with the owner/manager NOW. be really clear about the amount of money owed ( take copies in of any evidence...do not give originals it is amazing how things go 'missing") and say I need to leave the shop today with this amount of money or I am going to DSE and VCAT. You risk a ruling against you, this matter becoming public knowledge and losing your reptile licence.

I am sure you will get your money and if you dont you can lodge your complaint through VCAT. http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au
It only costs $40 and you have forms to fill out etc. You have to send copies to the shop...usually once they see the forms you get send a cheque to make it all go away........I bet as soon as you mention VCAT you'll get your money.

I have found that the "V" word works wonders with retailers...they suddenly will do anything for you to avoid a hearing...the sad thing is you ahve to pull out the sledgehammer to get action .......I could bore you with my stories about beds and refrigerators but I wont.......trust me and everyone else here...you want your money back and you want to go to a breeder. And this is the way to do it....the pet shop are just trying to make this go away the cheapest way they know how, they know full well youa re entitled to your money back they just are trying to avoid giving it to you. Beleive me they are not being 'nice"

I am so sorry to hear what has happened. This is not what bringing a first snake home is supposed to be like.

Regards

Elizabeth

i agree with Aussie ... get her to the vet ASAP and take it from there ... i wish u all the best Jessica wish there was more i could do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back