Lifespan of a dead rat ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Ok it may sound a bit weird but hey you guys expect that from me now so I didn't want to dissappoint you :)
When you freeze rats how long do they remain safe to use to feed your snakes? Having enquired of a few people I have been told everything from 3 months to 2 Years!! Now I wouldn't fancy using a 2 year old rat and I think 3 months is a bit out somehow :) What do you guys and gals reckon ?

Couldn't tell you actual numbers Africa, but I do know that it has a lot to do with how you store. Colder is better. That is, "deep" freeze as opposed to just a regular freezer. Other main factor is air getting to it. Just like with any frozen meat, less air equals longer life in freezer. That is why it's a good idea to keep them bagged in smaller groups, because every time you open the bag to get one out, it exposes the others to air. vacuum packed is best if you have that option, just break vacuum on bag before thawing, because you will end up with a nasty, mushy, mess if you thaw in bag that is vacuum packed.

That's about what I know about freezing them. Like I said, I couldn't give you a definite answer, because I just don't know. Maybe someone with more experience could tell you how long they've kept them for, and how they were stored.

Meat is supposed to stay ok in freezer for about 6 months and then should be thrown out (read it off my freezer.....from the freezers mouth none the less) :lol: :lol:

Cheers Hawkeye

Scientifically, there is no real limit to how long you can store meat frozen. Meat has been found dating back to the ice age and was perfecly preserved. It all depends on how you store it. So long as there is no freezer burn, I can not see a problem.

Hi Afrofish
I asked this question my vet Teri (she is taking care of reptiles in taronga zoo) she said that in normal freezer they should be ok for 6 month.

Thanks Slatey :) Meat will stay ok in the freezer for 6 mths but what was worrying me is that most meat that goes in is not complete with guts , crap etc. If your vet said this as well though then it is good enough for me :) Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back