Lifespan of Inland Taipan?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrick

Reaction score
From what I've spotted on the net so far, it only says 2 years. Can someone with infinitely more experience than me "or wiki answers" give me an approx on their lifespan please. And no, I don't want to buy one, it's info to pass along to a zoo volunteer guide sheet.

Don't know if this helps but this is from the Billabong Sanctuary website on coastal taipans.. " Little is known about their life expectancy in the wild; snakes in captivity reach 10-15 years of age"

I think elapids in general can live up to 20 years. I don't see why this would exclude an inland taipan.

2 years sound ridiculous. I'm not even sure if an elapid is at breeding age by 2 years.

I have a female born in 1993

The Canberra Reptile Zoo has one that was one of the original animals when the Australian Reptile Centre was set up 16 years ago. Who knows how old it was when they got it. It's a cranky old thing too!

Thanks for that, I know there's little known about them and I thought 2 years was ridiculous, I will pass this info along.

They will live alot longer than 10-15 years, most elapids will.
I knew of an adder that was wild caught as an adult and the last time i spoke with its keeper he had had it for 22 years. So that animal could well of been 30yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back