Lifting the ban on Exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i know it was not a very good example,but all i was trying to say is people like different things.the system they have for the small amount of people that are legaly keeping exotics in vic is working fine.so maybe they could have another amnesty like they had back in the late 90's.

when chinese food can escape and out compete our native wild life then i will conceed the example is vaild but untill that happens i suggest you use a better one.

We still have loads of native species suitable (and highly prized overseas)
that are yet to be established privately in Australia.
I guess a lot of google informed exotic worshipers are naive to this?

It will happen one day.Be back later I just have to finish writing a letter to santa.

I wan't some Rainbow Boa's... gimmie gimmie gimmie!!!

Problem is with all these suggestions is that it's not going to stop crap..

De-sex the snake? people will bring breeding snakes in.
Try to keep a track record on exotics? there will appear black listed specimens.

Make exotics illegal all together? well we seem to have exotics right now... I could have one on my lap. (figure of speech)

I agree with KatshirT, what about cats? feral bastards are doing more damage then any snake could... but the problem is that the Cat industry is 100 (or more) times bigger then the herp industry. Most people still have the mentality that snakes are evil... While cats are cute and cuddly.

If snakes are accepted in moderns society as an adorable animal then maybe exotics will start coming in... but don't think for a moment that it can be regulated, it can't...

I'm happy with our species right now... I'm still looking forward to keeping diamonds, Albino's and diamonds... Then I might try dragons, gecko's or monitors. I highly doubt most keepers have had the pleasure of keeping all of our species or reptiles, so why go onto exotics?

Don't. Be. Greedy. :)

TBH, i recon that if u wanna keep exotics, move to the states, they have aussie pythons there as well as exotics, and if u dont wanna move, then tough ****, this is aus, not sum country that is full of all sorts of animals and diseases. Sorry if that seems a bit aggressive,

Will

I wan't some Rainbow Boa's... gimmie gimmie gimmie!!!

Problem is with all these suggestions is that it's not going to stop crap..

De-sex the snake? people will bring breeding snakes in.
Try to keep a track record on exotics? there will appear black listed specimens.

Make exotics illegal all together? well we seem to have exotics right now... I could have one on my lap. (figure of speech)

I agree with KatshirT, what about cats? feral bastards are doing more damage then any snake could... but the problem is that the Cat industry is 100 (or more) times bigger then the herp industry. Most people still have the mentality that snakes are evil... While cats are cute and cuddly.

If snakes are accepted in moderns society as an adorable animal then maybe exotics will start coming in... but don't think for a moment that it can be regulated, it can't...

I'm happy with our species right now... I'm still looking forward to keeping diamonds, Albino's and diamonds... Then I might try dragons, gecko's or monitors. I highly doubt most keepers have had the pleasure of keeping all of our species or reptiles, so why go onto exotics?

Don't. Be. Greedy. :)

The problem is that traditionally cats have been domesticated long before there introduction here. They have also been kept and accepted by society long before reptiles were even considered a hobby. But as i mentioned earlier using cats as a justification for importing more exotics is a weak argument. There is already a problem here with exotics so why add to it, especially considering the amount of keepers that cannot contain there pets...

I accept the argument about cats as they have been here for years as pets BUT why allow people to advertise them free to good homes or sell them for $5 to anyone off the street ? When I wanted to bring a 2nd generation captive bred Leopard Tortoise into the country about 10 years ago I was told the risk to the environment was too great, if I had also wanted to bring in a cat or 2 that wouldn't have been a problem. The cats could legally eat every animal in my yard and a few blocks around, the tortoise would eat my flowers.
I actually have no problem with exotics not being allowed and have long ago accepted it really wont happen but what I do hate is the hypocrisy.

I was involved in the 'negotiations' in Victoria when they legalised a handful of animals, they listened to what we had to say, then ignored it and introduced unworkable rules so basically virtually no-one came forward.

Ha ha! I love this opening line! Negotiations?????

I think eventually there will be some legalizing of exotics. Don't think it will be any time soon though. I am also not sure I agree with it.

Boa you may be able to shed more light on this issue but the wildlife officers I have spoken to on this issue just say there's not much we can do about illegals eg. under staffed and not a big enough push from above. It's as if the problem is too big to solve so the department doesn't believe they can solve the problem with the current legislation.

There is absolutely no way in the world the department can have any affect on the number of exotics out there, virtually the only time they find any is if someone is busted for drugs or whatever and they come across snakes as well. It's impossible to say how many are out there but having spoken to many keepers it is clear that the numbers are huge and of course growing exponentially and they can't be made more illegal.

i havent read the thread. but im cool with some exotics, that are on a highly restricted basis of keeping and auditing. licenced of course.

and i know there are those (redbellybite) saying what if a male retic escapes... well, i think cane toads would do more damage to the environment than a few male retics, if thats how laws were based...only males being kept.

just my few cents

in saying what i have said, theres probably no exotics that i would want to keep, however there would be easier access to white lipped pythons quite possibly - so thats a positive ;)

apart from that...each to there own.

id still prefer it if you were allowed to keep eagles and buzzards and kites etc.

jeeze every body spits the dummy when it somes to exotics or having reptiles in pet shops.....ohnestly relax....im for both but i mean here in nsw we cant have reptiles in pet shops let alone exotics.....far off

i havent read the thread. but im cool with some exotics, that are on a highly restricted basis of keeping and auditing. licenced of course.

and i know there are those (redbellybite) saying what if a male retic escapes... well, i think cane toads would do more damage to the environment than a few male retics, if thats how laws were based...only males being kept.

just my few cents
that was not my point at all ...I meant in general malesor females ...we would end up with a way bigger problem then you seem to think ...cane toads are a prime example....untill you live in a toad infested area ..you really dont have a clue on how they can thrive in the utmost terrible conditons ,that any of our frogs wouldnt stand a chance to survive in .

My point of the escape crap was ...if its anything to go by with how many are on APS and they are Aussie snakes that have escaped ...hell if I would like to read my exotics have escaped ....and thats only on here that we see ,who knows how many people are losing their snakes/lizards out there ...

and if they open to some species then as was said others would complain and want other species as well ..so couldnt speculate ..its all to much of a headache..

plus it means more venomous exotics (which dont get me wrong I drool at some of the species) but first aid would have to be reviewd ..........
a passage from AVRU about

'Exotic Snakes

frstaid_sml.gif
First aid for exotic snake envenomation will depend on the species.
Australia is home to the most venomous species of snake in the world. Fortunately, the pressure-immobilisation technique provides effective first aid for envenomation by any of the dangerous species. Also, effective antivenoms have been developed for all of them.
The same is not true of snakes which are native to other parts of the world. In some cases of envenomation, pressure-immobilisation may be contraindicated and in others ineffective. There are antivenoms for most dangerous species'

So it would be bloody confusing for hospitals and paramedics alike ,at the moment they are all aware of the first aid needed for our own ...believe me they dont need any extra pressure dealing with exotic vens ...aussie vens keep them busy enough ;)

I would like to own some naja.

I think the fear here is with your joe blogs living down the road who wants to get a corn as their first snake and then of course leading to the " help my corn has escaped"

Set the licensing for a exotic permit to be extremely regulated and quite expensive, this way only the very devoted hobbyists will do it.

It's going to take one hell of a big mop and bucket to soak up the dribble in this thread.

I think the fear here is with your joe blogs living down the road who wants to get a corn as their first snake and then of course leading to the " help my corn has escaped"

Set the licensing for a exotic permit to be extremely regulated and quite expensive, this way only the very devoted hobbyists will do it.

Maybe the best idea forwarded yet, i have been hearing alot of make them legal but not much solution,

can see your point ...but no matter how well informed you are or how much money you have ..that wont stop the likes of knob heads ripping off your collection ..its happened to the best of herpers/keepers, and it only takes one person that you think you can trust ,that knows about your collection to say ''i got a mate ........" in a general convo and it can come all undone ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back