Lifting the ban on Exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When oh when will people start to learn! When it comes to anything wildlife/conservation related its purely a political game, the only thing that matters to our decision makers are the votes. Look at the cane toad, the government KNEW it would fail but allowed it because of the political influences of the cane growers at the time. If they didn't they would have lost power.

More recently in NSW, cage sizes etc etc, it has nothing to do with animal welfare its more got to do with pleasing the voters. The animal welfare organisations are more organised, better prepared, have some political influence, and more 'general' public support compared to reptile keepers. We can have all the scientific papers in the world to support our cause but until we as reptile keepers have abit more political bite we are easy targets and we more often lose. But instead we are too busy fighting among ourselves over such little and insignificant things.

We wont get exotics just handled to us with them saying its too big of a problem you may as well have them legally. We will only get them when we demand it and have enough political sway. At the moment our numbers are too small, some where I read we have something like 1 in 300 homes have reptiles. We will firstly need to bring those numbers up even more (maybe cheaper reptiles will do this). If we use an APS poll done a little while ago 75% who answered said they would keep exotics if legal (despite peoples concerns about the potential effects). When you start adding the numbers, you are starting to get somewhere. Bypass the middle men (departments) and go straight to the decision makers. So in short stop wasting your time trying to sway departments with reasoning, logic arguments and pick up a book on the world of politics; you will get much further.

In all this our newly formed National Reptile Keepers Association has gone missing on this and many other issues.

PNG GTP's were here before the reptile amnesty.
Those that were in Aus were deemed allowable BUT alot more have been illegally added to collections since then.
It is a simple case of scumbags writing them into their books as offspring from the original "deemed" animals and they becoming somewhat legal.

No keeper needs to have an exotic, it comes down to greed in the end.
Be happy with what we have, we are lucky to have this much.

PNG GTP's were here before the reptile amnesty.
Those that were in Aus were deemed allowable BUT alot more have been illegally added to collections since then.
It is a simple case of scumbags writing them into their books as offspring from the original "deemed" animals and they becoming somewhat legal.

Until DNA lineage is tested... lol. Karma's a bitch and hopefully it'll catch these chaps out...

Can anyone shed anymore light on the reptile keepers association and what they have/are actively doing for the hobby?

Bushfire is on the money and that is exactly why i think it will eventually happen (no i don't want it to but i think it will). Look how many tropical fish are currently imported every week.

Bushfire is on the money and that is exactly why i think it will eventually happen (no i don't want it to but i think it will). Look how many tropical fish are currently imported every week.

And look at how many tropical fish are now classed as noxious OR risk of noxious leading them to be added to the grey list which can not be imported. It will never happen. The amount of exotic reptiles collected from rescuers on a call out over the years is phenomenal. The authorities are aware of this and have no intention of ever allowing them into the country especially when we already have problems with them (red eared slider populations, escaped or dumped corns & boas. Milk & king snakes just to name a few known pests already established in our land). It is getting harder and harder to import cats, dogs fish & birds these days. Soon they too will more then likely be cancelled from importation and we will all have to be happy with what we have got (unless you care to finance a blackmarket)

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think it is a good idea Just saying that my belief is it will one day happen. Yes they have the grey list, but they also have the live import list which is rather massive (and also gets added to). Why don't they just stop fish importing altogether? I mean if they are that serious about it and it has nothing to do with money/size of the hobby you would think it would have happened already.

The problem is that traditionally cats have been domesticated long before there introduction here. They have also been kept and accepted by society long before reptiles were even considered a hobby. But as i mentioned earlier using cats as a justification for importing more exotics is a weak argument. There is already a problem here with exotics so why add to it, especially considering the amount of keepers that cannot contain there pets...

I couldnt agree more, cat owners are not controlling their pets, I know ONE (lonely and singular number one) cat owner out of 30 or 40 odd who keeps their cat strictly and SOLELY on their premesis unless transporting it to and from appointments etc. get rid of the cats, dont let in any other exotics because, as stated, people as a general rule are irresponsible and dont care about our native wildlife. cats are as bad or worse than any other pest cause ppl will crack the sads if you shoot one over a fox who is just as domesticated as the cats. i would KILL to own some certain exotics and know that i bloody sure wouldnt let one escape, spread disease etc. BUUUUT i am 100% against letting the into the country due to idiots and 100% fine with the fact that i wont own an exotic as a price i pay for other idiots not being in the position to be able to readily destroy my country.
long and the short of it, exotics bad. dont use cats as an example of why exotics are good, and dont say they are domesticated because if given the chance they would kill more wildlife in one day than they could consume in a lifetime.

sye

dont use cats as an example of why exotics are good, and dont say they are domesticated because if given the chance they would kill more wildlife in one day than they could consume in a lifetime.

sye
Lol my cat has trouble killing a cockroach

Thanks Gex

i would love to get exotics...i like em....but if it dont happen im not fussed....i like the natives we have here just as much if not more.....whats not to like

lol chinese food and exotic wildlife are a little diffrent[ but i can understand if u cant tell the diffrence] . i have never herd of chinese food excaping and wreaking havoc on OUR native wildlife .

I do agree that Chinese food is not getting into your native wildlife populations and causing damage BUT, I will bet my last dollar that your native wildlife is in fact getting into chinese food... LOL

I agree with the post, I think if they regulated it, no dogey dealings would go on that would threaten our wildlife in rebellious behavior to laws that have no meaning... Like tax on alco pop when beer is drank by bogans and they cause the most fights...
But pointless laws that need to be changed, people say 'just move', but we shouldn't have to, we should be allowed the freedoms of keeping exotics if regulated and in captivity..there is no harm at all. If people kill corn snakes they catch, or kill cane toads... how is it any different than keeping a reptile in captivity until it dies...
Some people I think are too scared to question it due to historic quarantine issues but good thread, It opens minds up a little to how it could be done - I don't believe in 2012 either, prob a scam like Y2K bug lol

I think painting all exotics with the 'exotic pests' brush is rather myopic, as is labeling them all predators. They are not all predators. What about captive bred exotic tortoises, for example. A great pet, interesting captives, harmless. We're missing out on a whole world out there. My opinion is that a more discriminating paintbrush that is capable of discerning harmless stuff like captive bred tortoises from the truly harmful pests such as B marinus, would be of much more benefit to everyone than hysterical, dogmatic brainwashing that prescribes burning at the stake of anything exotic.

I think painting all exotics with the 'exotic pests' brush is rather myopic, as is labeling them all predators. They are not all predators. What about captive bred exotic tortoises, for example. A great pet, interesting captives, harmless. We're missing out on a whole world out there. My opinion is that a more discriminating paintbrush that is capable of discerning harmless stuff like captive bred tortoises from the truly harmful pests such as B marinus, would be of much more benefit to everyone than hysterical, dogmatic brainwashing that prescribes burning at the stake of anything exotic.

Yep and all those established colonies of red eared sliders throughout Sydney are proof of this isn't it :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back