Light Black Belly Line?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyFade

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey herpers,
Ive been reading threads for a while now but never posted so sorry if this is the wrong place for this post.
I have a question about my Childreni, hoping you guys can help :)
My ant is about 4 months old, awesome little snake - feeds great, sheds with no issue and handles fantastic.
I had him out yesterday and noticed a light blackish line on his underbelly, probably a third of the way up from his tail. At first i thought it was a shadow but it wasn't, as he moved through my hands the line seemed to move slightly, under his pale belly. Am i seeing a poop through his belly? Or could it be something else? I'm not worried (yet) but curious. He did poop about 3 days ago as per schedule but is due for a feed today.
Any help appreciated :)
Many thanks

Pics may help. Welcome to the forum :)

thanks FooZil, attempting to upload pics now
[doublepost=1518234384,1518233930][/doublepost]IMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPG
my apologies if the pics are little dodgy but it was a tad tricky to snap them, one image is more for the reference of the placement, the other is to try and show the opacity of the "black line"
hope this helps thanks

Could be poop, could be an organ,
Could be food

Thanks for the pic. I'm no expert, so I can't say for sure, but hopefully some others can. I only asked for the pic so that the real experts can help :) Good luck

yeah I'm leaning more towards poop given that it hasn't always been there, but i really have no idea.
just not sure if i should be holding off on feeding him?
id say you're closer to an expert than i am! thanks again :)

Young Antaresia do have fairly translucent ventral scales. As they grow larger and the scales get thicker, they tend to become less so. What you are observing is internal organs. The dark blob in the first photo looks like it might be the gall bladder, which is located about half way along the snakes. The last third of the snake, excluding the tail, contains the large intestine and rectum, and the dark line/material you observed would be wastes moving through the colon. Snake can easily move the contents of the intestines along

by simply relaxing the muscles in the intestine and moving forward over objects with its body muscles. No, you do not have to wait until poops before you feed it again. Just ensure you keep the snake hydrated, the temps appropriate, with something for it glide over in its enclosure and with roughage in its food (fur, nails, teeth and bones) and the snake will poop when it is good and ready with no issues. The common feeding intervals for snakes yyyyggin their first year varies from 5 to 10 days in general. From eating a meal to pooping can vary from, on average, from 1 to 3 weeks. It can even go another week plus on that with nothing being wrong.

Wow that’s awesome. Thank you very much Bluetongue! He did feed yesterday without issue so I’ll check in a couple days if the ominous blob is still there :) I appreciate the help thanks again

Thanks GB :)
Seems Bluetongue was probably right - it being an organ, gallbladder would probably make sense I’m terms of the location - give or take that’s seems roughly accurate. Thanks again, you guys are great :D
[doublepost=1518438625,1518313362][/doublepost]After leaving young Ickerus to digest for two days I got him out to clean the colossal mess he had made and to check if the “black line” was still there, and it is. Slightly smaller and/or less visible but still there, given that he pooped (substantially!) I’d say that it is an organ :) Thanks again Bluetongue and GB for the detailed and helpful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back