Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatfrog

Reaction score
Hi im 15 and iv never kept a snake (my mum hates them and would kill me if i got one) but when i do get one (soon hopefuly) id like a green tree python (iv got to save some money) seeing as iv never had a snake can someone tell me what kind of snake is most like a gtp in there behavior and what licence are thay on in nsw

A green tree python is a bad idea for a first snake, hatchies cost from $3500 up, and are often difficult to keep.
Pheraps a Bredli, childrens, coastal or spotted might be a better first snake>

Read his post, he didn't say he wanted one as a 1st snake something that's similar to get experience for a GTP.
Sorry I cant come up with anything constructive, any python really id think to just get your experience and knowledge up.

Green Tree Pythons' behavour is fairly uncharasmatic of australian snakes (due to their isolation in far north queensland). They are a member of the Morelia family, so maybe somehting from that genus would be your best bet?
I'de go with a jungle carpet python, only because they are a Morelia in north QLD..JHaving said htis, I have never owned either a Jungle or a GTP, but this is just from material I've read. Not personal experience etc.
Hope this helps,
Ben.

Closest would probably be rough scaled python, but they're more expensive then a GTP. Any carpet would be good. Bredli, Murry darling coastal carpets are probably considered the best beginner snakes as far as carpets go, but all carpets are fairly easy to care for so you can go with most anything. Darwin and jungles are quite snappy when young, but most will calm with age. Diamonds are a little more complicated.

I'd suggest you get some good books and read up. Get online and have a look at pictures and choose a snake that you like the look of.

According to John Weigel's chapter in Swan's book, the rough-scaled python is a lot like a GTP in some ways, but both are on Class 2, so you must keep for 2 years. Any of the Morelia would probably be a good start. Just see what you like. Try this article as a start: http://www.sxr.com.au/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

Thanks i think u have to be over 18 for a class 2 reptile licence in nsw so iv got to wait acouple years that will give me lots of time to learn about gtp and i think ill be going with a jungle carpet python for now:eek:

I know this thread is old but did you ever get your green tree Python Now that you would be old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back