Lil help needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithson

Reaction score
Hi all this is my 1st year breeding my albinos
i put my male in with my " female " I hope and
the female smearing blood out her back end now there at different ends of the cage males 4years weight 2.2kg female 3years 2.0kg
could it be two males no combat yet ?

Possibly, but unless you're cooling them together it's far too late for them to breed.
I would separate them and have them sexed by someone with experience and knowledge.

Breeding season doesn't start till at least late August/early September. Your snakes need to be cooled over winter before you breed them.
Plenty of info out there on the net about breeding cycles and requirements ect.
I suggest you skip this season and build up a bit more knowledge on general herping before you attempt to breed...

I don't want to be the killjoy

But before breeding you need to do the checklist.

- do you have an incubator?
- have you established whether your going to build up freezer stock or buy stock of food?
- do you have a hatch rack or plans to build one?
- have you had the snakes sex confirmed ?
- have you established the cycle for the snakes (feed cooling introduction)?
- most important do you have a nearby breeding expert that can be on hand to provide advice and check your work?

If you can't answer yes to all of these than you should consider skipping this season.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I find the best way to breed snakes is to just give it a go. What's the worst that could happen? You should have some basic understanding of the snakes you're keeping and an idea on incubation and how you'll be housing the young if you are successful but everyone seems to get all caught up in overthinking it.

When I bred Darwin's they copulated in late June and early July, if you paired them up in August you'd probably be okay but mine would have been gravid or just about by that stage. If the 'female' is lifting her tail and smearing blood she may just be scenting which shows she is receptive to breeding (this is generally done along with urates as well). Pair them up later this year and see how it goes, if you have a pair they should copulate, if you have two males they might fight, this should confirm their sex for you though.

Not sure what you mean by smearing blood out her back end, but my receptive female albino will expose her cloaca and scent the cage. It is, as others have said, early for breeding. Right now is when I would stop feeding my albinos. Two weeks after the last feed, I drop the night temps and shorten the day a bit. I get the most copulation in June and July. I would not begin introductions until late May. Until I am sure of a pair, I watch them like a hawk and do not leave them alone. Yours are clearly not interested yet, so separate them and prepare them a bit more.

Thanks for your replays pythonmum you hit the nail on the head
Senting they have both stoped takeing food mid feb as for
incubation my temp is sitting 30.5-31.5c
had it running for two weeks now and hatched ants last season
so not that new to breeding lol
i will keep cooling till the end of may
as am typing this male is paceing his cage and female
is gone back on the heat !!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't want to be the killjoy

But before breeding you need to do the checklist.

- do you have an incubator?
- have you established whether your going to build up freezer stock or buy stock of food?
- do you have a hatch rack or plans to build one?
- have you had the snakes sex confirmed ?
- have you established the cycle for the snakes (feed cooling introduction)?
- most important do you have a nearby breeding expert that can be on hand to provide advice and check your work?

If you can't answer yes to all of these than you should consider skipping this season.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Don't have an expert near lol but the rest yes
How you ment to learn if you don't try??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back