Little Scorpion (U. yaschenkoi?)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just rehoused this little fella who has been buried for months and months. He's very fat, and I think he's a Urodacus yashcenkoi

Can anyone tell me why he's so fat, and whether he is in fact a yaschenkoi?

LittleScorp001.jpg

LittleScorp002.jpg

LittleScorp005.jpg

The new set-up

LittleScorp009.jpg

LittleScorp010.jpg

LittleScorp011.jpg

LittleScorp019.jpg

definatly not yaschenkoi, manicatus by the looks, ready for a moult, i'd chuck it on coco peat/sand mix, i use white sand

i like him :) (the guy in the reflection) the scorp is gorgeous too! hehe

Only just noticed the reflection! How embarrassing.
Cocopeat and sand? ARGH I just changed it!!! OK tomorrow I will go out and buy cocopeat.. sigh. Does it still need a false bottom?
What're the general care requirements for U. manicatus?

may not be manicatus but looks like it, mark will give you a better answer. False bottom is good. Dont change it just buy a yaschenkoi for it

I must've put too much water in, as it is like MUD!!! I've taken little Elephant out and put him/her into a tupperware container for the night, with cocopeat/sand and a little rock and shelter...

Vry annoyed because I had it on cocopeat/sand and changed it all hahaha. Will just put in what I took out tomorrow... Do manicatus burrow like yaschenkoi?

manicatus dont generally burrow so thas why i'm thinking it may not be manicatus as they generally just dig a scrape under a rock.

nearing a moult, they get large so the exoskeleton splits

yer i was wondering that too, well i know next time what i need to do to make my exoskeleton split :shock:

:lol:

ohhhhhhhhhh ok i didnt realise they got so huge before a molt... only use to yabbies lol isnt as noticable as a scorp molt obviously hehehe

Yeah he is a little fatty. You can almost see the next exoskeleton throuh the membrane between plates.

I've heard manicatus burrow like crazy, hornet?

Quit it herpsrule!!:oops:

Don't think it's pregnant, because I got it ages ago and it hasn't been in contact with any other scorps.. Hope it busts its skin soon!

Definately a manicatus and it looks gravid to me. How long ago did u get it? Scorpions have an 18 month gestation period and can store sperm for an ideal time, so could quite possibly be gravid.

I got it about 2 years ago, and it's only quite little, could it really be pregnant?

Mark reckons it's a Urodacus macrurus... Any ideas?

Manicatus don't get massive unlike the "desert" scorpions, and judging by the overall size of yours, length, width regardless of the swelling, id say its mature size. If not it wouldn't bulge that much if it was just going to shed. My females gave birth at a similar size to yours, so just going from my experiences, I'd say its a gravid manicatus. Congrats! I'd talk to bylo though, he has a great deal of knowledge when it comes to inverts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back