live birthing reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecko75

Reaction score
Hey,

does anyone have a complete list of reptiles of australia that shows whether they lay or give birth, I just tried to find a list but was unsuccesful.

thanks, Gecko75

i dont think you will find a list but you may be able to find out which species your intersted in knowing about.
I have researched this subject to some extent

mainly curious on elapids though skinks aswell, I know some stuff of certain things like pseudechis have live (red bellys), while others have eggs (spotteds, mulgas etc) so it is confusing.

Generally colder climate reptiles live bear... So thats a starting point for you. Get a field guide will answer your Q.

Live born elapids.

Tiger Snakes notechis scutatus
Red Belly Black pseudechis porphyriacus
Death Adders acanthophis sp.
Copper Heads austrelaps superbus
Stephans banded hoplocephalus stephensi
Pale headed hoplocephalus bitorquatus
Board headed hoplocephalus bungaroides
De vis banded (mud adder) denisonia devisii
Gray snake hemiaspas damelii
Capentara snake rhinoplocephalus
Curl snake suta suta

Naturally though, the above list has only a few of them.

If you get a field guide you can look up any species you're interested in.

Interestingly, most egg-laying species in Australia have the subcaudals undivided and most livebearers have most or all of their subcaudals single. It is consistent enough for some people to claim that is an absolute rule (no, I am not one of those people).

Viviparity has evolved over 100 times in squamates, so making up rules about what is and what is not a causal factor in parity mode is a difficult task, and one than no-one is yet to achieve.

Just for the record, scalation and climatic distribution have nothing to do with parity mode. Cold climates exclude oviparous species, but only in a few unusually cold parts of the country, and not with any clear pattern.

all skinks live birth. as for the colder the more live birth, shingle backs like it hot with no humidity, the give live young,

dont get smart with me kupper. or maybe i should ve been more specific. when i said skinks i meant the blue tongue genus, will you ever forgive me.

All skinks...hmm. Okay then. When did Sandwimmers stop laying eggs?

Mine kept doing that thing called laying... i just threw out the white lumps and figured it was a large amount of uric acid.....

im still waiting on a birth from them

Lemons if I was a lesser man ( less infractions) I would be slapping you upside the head ATM lucky you retracted

mainly curious on elapids though skinks aswell, I know some stuff of certain things like pseudechis have live (red bellys), while others have eggs (spotteds, mulgas etc) so it is confusing.

the confusing thing is in that genus Pseudechis, the black snake family they are all egg layers except P.porphyriacus which makes you think it should be in a different genus to the other members.
The next confusing thing in reproductive biology of elapids is the difference between viviparity and oviviparity ,where like in the case of P.porphyriacus is been described as oviviparity in which the live young are born in membranous sacs.

all skinks live birth. as for the colder the more live birth, shingle backs like it hot with no humidity, the give live young,

Lemonz, while you're spreading wisdom on subject of parity modes and the selective pressures driving their evolution, what can you tell me about Saiphos equalis? Are they live bearers or do they lay eggs?

Concerning blue-tongued skinks, are you sure that Trachydosaurus is Tiliqua?

Snakepimp, why would a difference in parity mode justify placing a species in a separate genus?

You guys might want to read up on this. Here's a start: Shine, R (1987). Reproduction mode may determine geographic distributions in Australian snakes (Pseudechis).Oecologia 71 (4).

Last edited:
yes i have that paper too, i have all his papers just about i got hold of them when researching for my course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back