Live Queensland frog in groceries prompts biosecurity questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
masthead-main (6).png
Johanna Baker-Dowdell
AUGUST 14 2018
r0_224_4378_2695_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
WINTER VISITOR: The dainty tree frog that made its way to Scottsdale from Queensland. Picture: Scott Gelston

When Scottsdale resident Rebecca Saunders discovered a live Queensland tree frog in her fridge on Sunday, she questioned Tasmania’s biosecurity system.

Bananas are listed on the Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment department website as a fruit fly host produce and Ms Saunders said she was “amazed” a live frog made it into the state considering the recent focus on fruit fly incursions.

A department information sheet on the threats posed by introduced tree frogs shows Queensland tree frogs, like the amphibian Ms Saunders found in the bananas delivered via Coles Online, are one of the most common live arrivals in Tasmania.

“The frogs are accidentally kidnapped while resting in a bunch of bananas … The frogs are easily overlooked as they are camouflaged on the unripe, green bananas,” the sheet said.

Frogs go through the ethylene gassing process that ripens bananas ready for market and “are found by quarantine inspectors, supermarket grocery workers and occasionally by people who buy the fruit”.

Besides biosecurity risks, imported frogs can carry pathogens and disease, such as the Mucor amphibiorum fungus, which has caused ulcers in the Tasmanian platypus population.

A department spokesperson said processes reduced the risk of unwanted pests, such as frogs, arriving from the mainland.

“These measures are focused on a risk-based system that prioritises the greatest threats to the state,” the spokesperson said.

Biosecurity Tasmania has formal agreements with other states and producers on its quarantine system, along with checks at the border by regulatory and compliance staff who investigate and respond to reported incursions.

“An informed and engaged community and industries are also critical to Tasmania’s biosecurity integrity.”

The frog was picked up by Biosecurity Tasmania, using the protocol followed for detections.

“...all are responded to regardless of the level of threat they pose, with follow-up actions implemented where required.”

If you find an unfamiliar animal in imported food produce call the Invasive Species hotline on 1300 369 688.

My son once found a frog in the bananas at woolies, as soon as i realized what he had I started walking faster and faster until I had to drop my groceries and run. He just wanted to know what to do with it, poor kid. He chased me up and down three isles before he took it outside and let it go. Everyone in the shop was wondering what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back