lizard cross-breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On an episode of "Adrian's Reptile World", he went to a guys place that has bred these in captivity.

So who did the genetics to say that those wild caught 'hybrids' were in fact hybrids? As far as I see they don't even really have morphological features of both species, so I cannot see why anyone would assume they are.

So who did the genetics to say that those wild caught 'hybrids' were in fact hybrids? As far as I see they don't even really have morphological features of both species, so I cannot see why anyone would assume they are.

Shun the non believer!

I have seen a substantial amount both wc and cb and they vary greatly in form, Some look a bit like a chunky landmullet and some tend to look lik bluey's with larger scales. I suspect it really comes down to the stronger gene's. The ones I have seen from the grampians were like stumpys with slightly longer pointy tails and banded like an eastern bluey.

Not really into skinks but for those of you that are what's this?

[video=youtube_share;uaZDfX3mO_A]http://youtu.be/uaZDfX3mO_A[/video]

Shun the non believer!

I have seen a substantial amount both wc and cb and they vary greatly in form, Some look a bit like a chunky landmullet and some tend to look lik bluey's with larger scales. I suspect it really comes down to the stronger gene's. The ones I have seen from the grampians were like stumpys with slightly longer pointy tails and banded like an eastern bluey.

Not saying I don't believe. Saying a picture of a couple of blotchies that look pretty normal doesn't convince me.

Hybrid shingles crossed with bluetongues are not are rare thing. I have seen quite a few pics from overseas collections, probably related to the scarcity of shingles available for pairing. They seem to particularly like them in Japan. From the pics it is obvious that they are a cross. Google "shingleback hybrid bluetongue" and you get quite a few hits. There are also threads about this on bluetongueskinks.net

I can't answer regarding wild crosses, but can't see why it wouldn't happen from time to time.

By the number of specimens wild and captive cited in this thread I am surprised at the lack of photographs.

I'd say it's a cunningham/bluetongue or landmullet/bluetongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back