lizard Exercise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
i've read about people exercising their iguanas on leads, similar to dogs.
does anybody know if it is possible to do so with and australian lizards, dragons or monitors?

I was thinking it would be possible for maybe a lace monitor, but it would have to be tame first?

if so this would be a good way for me and my reptiles to get some exercise

you can bye leads for rabbits and guinea pigs and i recon the smallest size one would fit a beardie or water dragon.
would you just be walking it in backyard or around the block because i thought licenced herps werent suppose to leave the nominated premisis.
but thats just my opinion see what others think.

Licenced herps can leave the nominated premises for up to 12 hours.
I do however think there may be rules about walking them in public I'm not sure.I have heard of the larger species of monitors EG:lace,perentie,sand etc being walked by lead.
IMO if you have a lazy herp that needs exercise I'd place a heat source at either end of its enclosure and alternate between heating so that it frequently walks the length of the enclosure to bask.Also a bit of leisurely roaming around the house or in the back yard will suffice.

Hiya,
I do know that in England they sell actual "Reptile Leads" specially designed for Lizards etc (although they are much like a rabbit/guinea pig halter.) My friend over there has an Iguana, and I know he regularly walks him, he took a bit of coaxing at first, but Ziggy loves it now. He is fairly tame though, but does have his "bad hair days".

Good Luck if this is what you decided to do, and make sure you let us know the results!!! :lol:

I've heard that you can buy "reptile leads" in some SA pet shops... The whole concept of it cracked me up immensly though because I just have these images of me wandering around the streets with by Juvenile Bynoes Geckos on this lead about the size of string!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, I think it's great, I wouldn't do it myself mind you, what if your perentie broke free and got hold of someone's Chihuahua?
I've seen pics of people in the US who walk their Nile out in the local park on a regular basis. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back