Lizard ID Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wing_Nut

Reaction score
Found this little guy foraging in the leaf litter. I would estimate he was 200-250mm from head to tail. He was a little skittish and it was difficult to get a reasonable photo with a phone, apologies for that. Location was in Perth metro by the Swan River, could I get an identification please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 146
Western Limestone Ctenotus (Ctenotus australis) - previously named C. lesueurii. Distiguished from the very similar close relative C. fallens by the presence of 6 pale stripes on the back as compared to 4. You did well toget a photo. These things go like the clappers when they are fully warmed up.

Blue

Thanks for the ID. Everything in Perth is pretty warned up at the moment. After I made the initial post, I saw another four in the space of twenty minutes. There appears to be a nice little population thriving there.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Tell me about! I have been carrying a towel most of the day to mop up the sweat and we have a week of it to go. It is virtually impossible to pick the difference between fallens and australis when the little blighters are on the move. And they do do occupy some of the same areas. A focussed shot of the dorsal pattern is required to pick the difference. If you are lucky enough to be able to observe them without them knowing, they are totally fascinating to watch. Disturb them and make them aware of your presence and they are off like proverbial bride's nightie - gone before you can blink. Absolutely fascinating to watch if you ever get he opportunity.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back