Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like a dragon of some sort
maybe a bearded? but the neck area n some other stuff doesnt look quite right
i'm sure some of the experts could give a more deffinitive answer

Looks like a Tympanocryptus which it couldn't be, maybe a baby Rankinia? Basically I dont know. PM Eipper. He is a gun for ID.

What?? They're from Melb., but we can't keep 'em?

I'm not really sure it IS a mountain dragon (the head and colour is a bit wrong) but it is, for sure, an agamid.

What you have there is a very young and appears to be quite cool Mountain Heath Dragon (Rankinia diemensis). At the base of the tail there are quite obvious spines which are characteristic of this species. I have several in my collection including young ones and they look pretty much the same. They are quite common in the high country of Victoria. They are also found in NSW where they are even more common in their range and the East Coast of Tasmania. They are the only dragon found in Tassie.

Hopes this helps

Cheers

Looks like a montain dragon same body shape but coloring is a bit odd maybe different colour because of location

it was fairly high up in the mountain ranges. seems to have alot of excess skin around its neck.

Remember, some agamids vary in colour drastically, like the two lined dragon.

The animals in Kirby's post are fully grown and are from the mountains west of Sydney. The animal you are holding is no more then a couple of weeks old and from an area nearly 700 kilometers further South. I agree the skin folds around the neck are unusual and the colouring is also different but that does not mean it is not a Mountain Heath dragon. Does it have quite obvious enlarged spikes around the base of its tail?, it certainly looks like it has in the picture.

You asked for an ID, it has been identified as a Mountain Heath dragon by several people. I have a hatchling L. temporalis that is 3 days old right now that has a tail that is completely wound up like a spring or a pigs tail, highly unusual for this species in fact I have never seen it before. Still, at the end of the day it is still a Swamplands dragon albeit one that is not necessarily true to type and indeed different to the others in the clutch. Sometimes you see oddities even in the wild.

It is definately a young Mountain Dragon

Matt
It was either sink Chlamydosaurus and put them in with Amphibolurus or re validate Lophognathus, unfortunantly they really only did half the job by showing at least 1 undescribed species is presently lumped into gilberti but did not provide any diagnosis.

cheers,
Scott

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back