Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one... I'm in Brissy too & I don't use any external heat/lighting but the enclosure gets 6 hours of sun during winter & 8+ hours during summer... My frilly has been brumating on & off...

I like your concept & I think it will work well... Thx for sharing those pics :)

Thanks mate, i appreciate it. Im really looking forward to this project and adding a few new lizards to the family. Really keen to get some Blueys!

Unfortunately the area is under cover so at best, it receives a bit of direct sun in the morning during summer but the rest of the time it is just ambient light and temps. I think one MVB light will do the job and keep everyone happy and health. I work full time so most of the work will get done on the weekend, pay day on tuesday so next weekend should see a fair bit of progress!

Hamish

I do love the use of viewing glass on outdoor pits. Often found cheap from salvage yards. You want thick glass, like from an old telephone booth or display window.

Gotta remember blueys aren't good swimmers and can't climb up steep banks effectively. Make sure to add a gradual slope into the water if you put blueys in there as well.

Rick

Gotta remember blueys aren't good swimmers and can't climb up steep banks effectively. Make sure to add a gradual slope into the water if you put blueys in there as well.

Rick

I was going to pile rocks up around the water to keep the blueys away, then use a separate water bowl for them.

I was going to pile rocks up around the water to keep the blueys away, then use a separate water bowl for them.

They're not bad climbers of rocks, they'd have to be pretty big. Mine doesn't have any real trouble when it comes to rocks.

I was more meaning some large rocks with verticle sides. If that won't stop them then ill have to think of something else. I've always kept snakes, never lizards, it's all a new experience for me so everyone please be forgiving haha

I was more meaning some large rocks with verticle sides. If that won't stop them then ill have to think of something else. I've always kept snakes, never lizards, it's all a new experience for me so everyone please be forgiving haha

Maybe put some rocks in the pond but at the very edge so that if they do fall in they can climb up onto them?

Don't worry about asking questions, it's better you find out now rather than later.

I'm sure a 300-400mm wall of best blocks should stop them, probably won't to your EWD though :)

Rick

Okay how about I have the first 300mm of the pond very shallow? That way if they fall in they can still stand up and climb back out?

I got lucky today. Turned up to a new job site, excavations had already started, so i had free choice of hundreds of rocks of all different shapes and sizes, found some really nice ones. So that has saved me a bit of money and should make some great basking rocks, hides and add to the natural design.

I got lucky today. Turned up to a new job site, excavations had already started, so i had free choice of hundreds of rocks of all different shapes and sizes, found some really nice ones. So that has saved me a bit of money and should make some great basking rocks, hides and add to the natural design.

Good score... You would of been in your element!!!!

Any updates?

Unfortunately i was flat out over the weekend so i managed to fill the pit up with a bit more dirt and i grabbed a few more nice rocks from work but thats about it. Nothing that is photo worthy haha. This weekend however i will be working on it and should have some photos up.

My goal is to get the rest of the pit filled, a layer of top substrate on and a nice layout of logs and rocks. The pond lining should be arriving at my local hardware on thursday this week so ill get that in as well.

While i'm on the subject, any ideas and where to buy different substrates would be great!

Hamish

Anyone know if gum tree mulch or "forest mulch" is alright for lizards? looks really nice and i can't see anything wrong with it, just thought i'd check to see what other people thought

View attachment 294952View attachment 294953View attachment 294955View attachment 294956View attachment 294957View attachment 294954View attachment 294958

Okay so i got a bit done on the weekend. Basically i planned to design the whole area and build the walls/mesh after so it isn't in my way.

I went with a forest mulch for the substrate, it looked natural and i liked the look of it. I had collected the branches when the council was cutting down a large gum tree earlier in the year, i left the branches under my house for the last few months for them to dry out. I used one of these as the large branch you can see, the older weathered timber has been in my yard for years and i have always liked it so i finally got to use it, the last piece of timber on the left is a piece i used to have in one of my enclosures. The rocks are the ones i collected from work.

I went to a local plant nursery and bought a number of SE QLD local native plants to brighten the enclosure up and add to the natural feel. The pond still requires some work, i changed my mind about using liner because i could see too much going wrong. I bought this fibreglass pond instead. The next stage will be to put more wire mesh under the pond and fill around it. Then i can get some more mulch to put around that area.

After that i will screw a timber post in each corner and one in the centre of each side. I will use some more timber along the top of these posts, probably a 150mm x 50mm on it's flat side. The sides will be a suitable wire mesh. Not like chicken wire but a thicker wire mesh with square holes. Im also going to run a piece of timber from left to right in the centre and have the same wire mesh as a lid with hinges attaching it to the centre length of timber.

Any thoughts or advice are more than welcome.

Hamish

Photos didnt work.

I would make he walls around 1800mm high and add a door, ewds are great climbers and im sure they would appreciate the height.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back