Lizard,Skink identity?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearded_Pitbull

Reaction score
Hi

I was doing some garding today and came across a lizard or skink i havent seen before i took a few photos and let him go but i cant connect camera to this computer so will get them put on disc tomorrow anyway here is a quick discription of it.

It was under the soil burried it was a (shiny)gunmetal grey colour and underneath had patterns of light purple it constantly wiggled its tounge like a snake but was a fleashy tounge not slim forked like a snake,but most of all it had a point at the end of its tail that looked like a thorn it was 20 to 25cm long.

I will get the pictures on tomorrow but if anyone thinks they may know already what type it was please let me know.

Thanks

Sounds like a Blind Snake or a Scalyfoot legless lizard, however, Scalyfoots dont have a thorn at the end of their tails.

Other possibilities could be a Three Toed Skink or a She Oak Skink.

How big were the legs?

Legs at all? with the pointy thorn at the end of the tail, it sounds like a blind snake, though they have a forked tongue (though very tiny) like other snakes, another common leaf litter critter around your way is the three toed skink, Saiphos equalis, they usually have bright yellow underbellies, and tiny legs people often overlook, though with your discription, it sounds like a blind snake.

Thanks i looked up the ones sugested and it looked just like the she oak so im pretty sure thats what it was but will still put the pics on anyway thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back