Looking for Information

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi_339

Reaction score
Well since this section is also called reptile studies, I'm looking to see if I can garner some information.

Has anyone ever done a study on the subject of translocation of burrowing frogs? particularly Cyclorana species.

Also does anyone have any papers regarding radiotracking of translocated Tiliqua rugosa? home range size movement patterns etc.

cheers

J

Typically there isn't much stuff published on translocation as there isn't a whole lot of call for it with native wildlife.

Most state enviro departments hate relocation (with the exception of WA, who for some reason love it). It's generally difficult to relocate an animal- typically if suitable habitat exists it's probably already at carrying capacity, so adding extra individuals puts the whole population under extra stress (this was shown with Brush-tailed Possums in Vic- something like an 80% death rate in "relocated" animals).

There is much more published on reintroduction (rather than relocation): the only reptilian re-introduction I can think of is the release of woma pythons inside of the fenced area at Arid Recovery, Roxby Downs (SA). The quick version is: reintroduction failed due to predation by Mulga Snakes- they ate every released animal (all juveniles). I'm not sure they have thought about giving it another go with bigger snakes.

Use google scholar to find abstracts of papers- there's a start.

Typically there isn't much stuff published on translocation as there isn't a whole lot of call for it with native wildlife.

Most state enviro departments hate relocation (with the exception of WA, who for some reason love it). It's generally difficult to relocate an animal- typically if suitable habitat exists it's probably already at carrying capacity, so adding extra individuals puts the whole population under extra stress (this was shown with Brush-tailed Possums in Vic- something like an 80% death rate in "relocated" animals).

There is much more published on reintroduction (rather than relocation): the only reptilian re-introduction I can think of is the release of woma pythons inside of the fenced area at Arid Recovery, Roxby Downs (SA). The quick version is: reintroduction failed due to predation by Mulga Snakes- they ate every released animal (all juveniles). I'm not sure they have thought about giving it another go with bigger snakes.

Use google scholar to find abstracts of papers- there's a start.

PM Sent

Anyone with any info relative to the original question, I'm still all ears.

Cheers

i don't know of anything on the translocation of burrowing frogs as, i can think of no reason why anyone would have the need. so its unlikely anyone has studied it.

as for Tiliqua rugosa, do a google search for south Australian uni's they've been studying them there for 20 years plus
Gus

Search Mike Bull and Tiliqua rugosa

I am with Gus on the frogs. The radiotracking of translocated Tiliqua rugosa concluded that they were able to locate their home range when displaced up to one kilometre away. However I do not know if they looked at any other effects on displaced individuals.

Mike Tyler (Adelaide Uni) would be the person to talk to about field investigations into Australian frogs. You will find him very accommodating – a thoroughly nice fellow. If you want his phone number just PM me. There are a few people who have studied Burrowing Frogs in WA but without what you are looking for. Nevertheless, Prof. Phil Smithers has been involved in working overseas on frogs so if you to try a long shot.

At this point, your best option is to chase up Scott’s suggestion. Goodluck.

Blue

PS. As Nephrurus indicated, even reintroductions. The few successes have been where animals have reintroduced to island habitats where feral predators or competitors have been eliminated first. These have been almost exclusively mammals. hoever, the Lancelin Island Skink was captively bred and the many offspring raised over several years were reintroduced to the island habitat. So far, so good.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back