Looking for some ideas on ven. species to start off with

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayhem

Reaction score
I am thinking about possibly keeping some venomous species, but I arnt interested in keeping anything deadly or even dangerously venomous just yet. I would like to get some more experience with some mildly venomous species (eg, Brown Tree Snake, Yellow Faced Whip Snake kinda venomous) but more along the lines of elapids. I know I am probably ***** outta luck with most of Australia's elapids being dangerously venomous, but if anyone can think of readily available (as in commonly kept and bred) species that might fit in the category, please suggest :)

oh QLD too.

Well.... that part about commonly kept and bred is the kicker..... but I have found DeVis Bandeds a pleasure to keep... mine are mating daily atm, though they did last year for nil results, I have changed their enclosure and heating ect... fingers crossed.

DeVis' Banded snake, Denisonia devisi are not verry venomous and are a pretty cool snake tho i think there from NSW..?

G'day mate,

Brown Tree Snakes are really in a league of their own - they teach you nothing about keeping elapids. They are great to keep thought.

Small species of elapids (like most whip snakes, Marsh Snakes, De Vis Bandeds etc) are best suited to those with previous experience with the larger venomous snakes strangely enough. The problems encountered with their husbandry (mainly feeding problems) are difficult to deal with and will generally result in a dead snake if attempted by someone with not too much experience.

In reality, some "dangerously" venomous like a Red Belly Black Snake is the best path to take. The toxicity of the venom isn't something that should be factored into buy an elapid - avoiding a bite at all costs should be your number one priority. Things like temperament, ease of feeding, ease of handling and predictability are all key areas with elapids. Red Bellies are just perfect.

As far as feeding small elapids, yes they can be a pain, though I disagree somewhat to what Jonno said... I don't think you need prior experience with larger elapids, just prior experience with troublesome feeding snakes in general, ie; you will have to get hands on once and a while, force feed ect.. saying that, most of my DeVis eat unscented pinkies no worries, they are choosy when they eat though, they go for some time without eating at all, losing no weight, then will down multiple pinkies in one hit.. you may also need to muck around with fish or scenting ect for some individuals.. so you basically need to be willing to put in the time.

You're probably right Jason. Getting some finnicky Antaresia going would be on par with some small elapids.

My DeVis are going great guns - eats thawed fuzzy mice every time it's offered. Very happy about that.

And I think there is some benefit in keeping / breeding small "insignificant" elapids that others can't be bothered with... Not many, if any have kept some of these species long term and actually bred them consistantly.

Bandy Bandy are very cool and easy to look after
Mildly venomous
Need a fair bit of room as they enjoy hunting

I don't think any of those small elapids are good starting snakes .... yellow face whips,devis etc

But it depends on what you want if you are only looking for a stepping stone to work your way up then a red belly would more likely be a better choice or maybe pale heads or stephens ........ But if you are only interested in small elapids suta's are normally not to bad and have been bred a few times in captivity.

are you allowed to feed them blind snakes jamgo?
If a blindsnake happens to make its way into your snake room and just happens to fall into your bandy bandy enclosure on a weekly bases what is one to do ? You can't blind snake proof your house.

If a blindsnake happens to make its way into your snake room and just happens to fall into your bandy bandy enclosure on a weekly bases what is one to do ? You can't blind snake proof your house.
arrrrrrrr that must be a very inconvenient problem having your house inundated with blind snakes ;)

It used to be very bad but once i got out of bandy bandy's the blind snake problem stop and i haven't seen one since.

what about the Pseudonaja modesta?(ringed brown),it only gets to around 60 cm ..and unlike the other Pseudonaja species ..its not considered a hot chilli ...and they are a nice looking snake :)

what about the Pseudonaja modesta?(ringed brown),it only gets to around 60 cm ..and unlike the other Pseudonaja species ..its not considered a hot chilli ...and they are a nice looking snake :)
I tried them on blind snakes but they did not take to them :lol: But they have a soft spot for geckoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back