Lost interest in this hobby

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wranga

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
totally over this hobby after many happy enjoyable years. ive bred many animals in that time and watched the excitment of new people to the hobby picking up their new hatchie beardie or snake. ive made great friends along the way, and i thank those friends for their help and support. ive had my share of tyre kickers that we all deal with, but the tyre kickers have now become to hard to deal with. they have wasted to much time. theres those that seem to expect me to pay them to buy my animals. then to the scum that ripped me off afew months ago, your the final one that has driven me to give this hobby away. ill now look at selling all my animals and equipment and start enjoying trips away again instead of being stuck at home feeding hatchies, cleaning and feeding rodents

Don't leave it, change it.

So many herpers seem to think that keeping and breeding is the be all and end all of this hobby. Get into the feild, go herping. Way more satisfying than seeing them boxed up in glass cages.

And the best part of feild herping is that there is no money to pervert it!

Yeah don't waste your life just on reptiles there is a whole world out there

Id like to thank you wranga, for helping me name my first snake.

Its a shame to see you give in to those that have made the choice to be deadset gronks!

Sarah

Sorry to hear it all went down hill for you wranga
but the guys are right maybe you need a change from the breeding and selling
get out and do some trips mate
and take **** loads of photos

I can totally sympathise. If I didn't have to keep reptiles as part of my company, I wouldn't - I derive no enjoyment from it and very rarely pair things up because of the hassle involved with selling reptiles. This year I froze multiple clutches of eggs.

For those spruiking field herping - Ssshhhh! Part of the beauty of it is the lack of people who do it...let's keep it that way :)

I know how you feel wranga and I took a year or two off so to speak to regain my faith in humanity. :D. It becomes so much more enjoyable when you are not dealing with the public. Don't let them destroy an enjoyable hobby and just keep a couple of animals you enjoy.

Sounds like your in a low moment, maybe you'll regret it if you go ahead with it.
I dont think you should completely get rid if the hobby, keep a few snakes and just dont breed maybe? And do field herping like waruikazi said.

Same bud, Sold most mine off, this will be my last season with the few remaining animals..Its just not the hobby it used to be..

Lol, that is my favourite part.

I'm lucky but, i'm the only herper allowed in my areas!

I can totally sympathise. If I didn't have to keep reptiles as part of my company, I wouldn't - I derive no enjoyment from it and very rarely pair things up because of the hassle involved with selling reptiles. This year I froze multiple clutches of eggs.

For those spruiking field herping - Ssshhhh! Part of the beauty of it is the lack of people who do it...let's keep it that way :)

Don't leave it, change it.

So many herpers seem to think that keeping and breeding is the be all and end all of this hobby. Get into the feild, go herping. Way more satisfying than seeing them boxed up in glass cages.

And the best part of feild herping is that there is no money to pervert it!

Spot on- I love my pet snakes but absolutely relish wild contacts.

Sounds like your in a low moment, maybe you'll regret it if you go ahead with it.
I dont think you should completely get rid if the hobby, keep a few snakes and just dont breed maybe? And do field herping like waruikazi said.
not a low moment. been many months of thought gone into this. yes i may keep a couple of snakes for my own enjoyment. i wont regret pulling the pin.

thanks to all for your kind wishes

Spot on- I love my pet snakes but absolutely relish wild contacts.

Steve to tell the truth i wouldn't bat an eyelid if i had to get rid of my one and only snake left. The only snakes i want to keep now are the ones no one else have, because they are a challenge to keep alive.

That is no good wranga. Sorry to hear that is the way you feel.
I have felt like that at times, not so much the public as all the people I have sold my animals to have been pretty nice, just some of the scum you come across in this hobby. BUT the nice ones you meet more than make up for the scum. Just for the record, they are not on APS..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sad when anyone decides to get out of the hobby they loved. However I can understand your reasoning. I a currently trying to sell my first snake and didn't realise the troubles people can give you about it (I deal on eBay and understand how people are when it comes to buying things, but selling snakes is much worse). The stuff people expect is ridiculous and just rude. Hope you can come to a happy point in your collection with what you keep or don't keep. All the best mate. Cheers Daniel

I've had my fair share of ups and downs in the hobby too since the early days, and whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the very best.

I sympathize with you mate, I noticed lately that the tyre-kickers and idiots are breeding faster than my snakes. Why is it?

It sounds like you will need to set yourself some new goals in life and start enjoying other things.
There is no point doing something you don't enjoy anymore.
It is sad to hear that you want to leave the hobby but on the other hand i assume it will leave you with a lot of spare time to spend doing other things you love and want to do.
I have just entered the hobby so haven't delt with you but good luck in the future and i hope you enjoy it :)

I sympathize with you mate, I noticed lately that the tyre-kickers and idiots are breeding faster than my snakes. Why is it?
you can't pull out the hobby Michael...I need my own Supergirl some day! :p

but I can imagine...when I was selling a fish tank people were rude and dodgey enough...so I imagine with animals it'd be unbearable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back