Lost Tooth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Python-Lover4lyf

Reaction score
So my bredli python was due for a feed and i offered him a rat but he missed and got his teeth caught on the wire of his cage. After a struggle of trying to get him unhooked gently, he got impatient and made a weird twist and one of his teeth broke off in the wire. So basically I was just wondering what precautions I need to take to avoid a mouth infection. I heard your meant to hold off feeding to avoid the bacteria causing an infection? Is this true? And if so how much time would I need to post pone his feed?

Thanks Nakhia :)

Hi - in the wild, this is quite common. It doesn't necessarily mean that your snake will develop stomatitis [mouth infection] - and I would not advocate prophylactic antibiotics [just in case]! Remember that the metabolic rate of a snake is very slow - if he was to have an infection, it would take time for the symptoms to manifest. Therefore, I suggest you hold of on feeding him for two weeks, and if all is well, continue as normal.

As montay said but if things dont seem right in a few weeks dont hesitate calling or going to a vet

a little different but our stimson decided to eat his mouse backwards and managed to get a claw scratch in his mouth spat it out and didnt eat for a month .I thought nothing of it as he is a stubborn bigger when it comes to food sometimes . Mouth went red head swelled so finally i took him ( about another week) to the vet where he was given antibiotics for a month .
So if in doubt seek real help not just on here :)
:)

I once had a snake break a tooth in my thumb! Just keep an eye on his mouth, open it every now and then to check for redness or swelling - if you see any, take it to a vet asap. My snake was fine and continued feeding no probs, tooth took 6 weeks to come out of my thumb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back