love snakes but my dog hates them

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanbichel

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Since I moved to my new property, we have noticed that red belly black snakes seem to thrive here. I love them but my dog seems to hate them and rips them to shreds whenever she sees one. Although she is protecting the rest of my family (4 year old brother) I hate seeing her kill them. Any idea on how to keep the snake away from the yard?

You should be more worried about your dog, I dunno how bad red bellys can affect dogs if they get bitten but if your dog cops a bite from a brown snake it's either gonna die or cost you a fortune in vet bills and pain and suffering.

make yourself a reasonabley snake proof fence around the house and contain the dog , thats all you can do really

Remove any sources of food, shelter and water for snakes to use.
As stated, I would be worried about your dog too. Perhaps some training to condition your dog to stay away from snakes? I've that this can work but I don't have any links or know anyone that does it.

Redbellies kill many dogs every year, so if you can't keep her away from them, she probably has limited time with you... it will be only a matter of time before a redbelly gets it's revenge. If you are around when the dog is bitten, and you can get it to a vet while it's alive, you'll be up for thousands of dollars for antivenom treatment in most cases. I have a similar problem with our two Jack Russells, but all that can be done is to supervise the dogs as much as possible. I keep them inside during the riskiest part of the day...

Jamie

We must have the exceptional dogs
Our older jack Russell completely ignores my larger pythons while they have some grass time and our younger Jack Russell/ Dauschound cross will go and sit there and watch them for hours and never bother them. The only exception was when I had a woma who was recovering from a RI and rather lethargic the young one would actually sit beside him and cry as if he was feeling sorry for him.
Strange dog. Even has his mate Fergus the rat who he just adores and picks him up by the scruff of the neck and carries him around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back